1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2012' started by melissa, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now I've not been there, but I have to ask, if it's so flat, how did it get it's name - Swan HILL? :rolleyes:

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I really dont know...

3. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

The area was given its current name by explorer Thomas Mitchell, while camping beside a hill there on 21 June 1836.

"Among the reeds on the point of ground between the two rivers was a shallow lagoon where swans and other wild fowl so abounded that, although half a mile from our camp, their noise disturbed us through the night. I therefore named this somewhat remarkable and isolated feature Swan Hill, a point which may probably be found to mark the junction of two fine streams.:)

4. Choco

Choco Member

you went on the settlers village river boat cruise too then???? ;)

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So is this not a hill, that a photographer could use to his advantage, to take some photos of a fine gathering of Kombis? :rolleyes:

6. starkz

starkz Member

Being back at work since tuesday makes me realise how fantastic the the easter long weekend at the Bus Stop was. Me and Tara had a fantastic weekend on our first, but not last bus stop event. Big thanks to Melissa and everyone that was involved in organising the event. Was lovely that everyone is so friendly and easy going. Cheers to Doc for the cruise on saturday to Bendigo, was a great Day. It is true what the say though, red cars go faster. My little 1600 had trouble keeping up with Doc's rocket.

Thanks again

Rory

7. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Yep :D but Wikipedia helps :)

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Bus Stop 2012 Big Ticks

BUS STOP 2012 BIG TICKS

Some people were extraordinary in their Bus Stop performance:

My Big Ticks go to:-

Melissa; Coordinator extraordinaire. Despite challenges it all went soooo smoothly!

John D; Son of the year. Lovely coffee, delicious wine and delightful mother.

Royce; Family Manager flying solo. Big challenge handled so well.

Adrian; Fuel hose rescue with help from Doc. Saved JD from a fiery debate!

9. Choco

Choco Member

hear hear alpal, well said

10. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Geez I thought you where just really really paying attention to the Captain on the boat Mick

P.S How'd John pull up after his Flat Bed adventure home?

11. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

He had a nervous trip,he said he had to keep waking the tow truck driver up :eek:. He pulled in around 7pm.

12. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

I think I must now be the only one still on the road heading home....
    And won't be home for a few days yet.. :(

13. Necro

Necro Active Member

We are back home safe and I am back at work already, although I was quite sick by the time I got home. River has perked up, getting over his cold although he is still teething. It was certainly different camping with a baby and I would like to thank Jedda for doing a wonderful job being a mum, she was tied to the site alot but insisted I enjoy seeing my friends and mingle.

It was a wonderful event, the town was a bit boring, but the location let me meet up with friends from five states and territories and I enjoyed every minute...

Special thanks go to Wendy and Shelley, who helped look after River and gave him lots of love, true kombi people those ones...JD for his linguistic cunning and coffee revivers ,without which I may not have survived three days of drinking, all my old friends who made the effort to come, all the new people I met and those I got to know more. Everyone I had a beer with or a laugh, everyone that dressed up, to Laine for coming and having a twirl, and for Kai for being brave enough to have a twirl. Everyone I was in a convoy with and those who came to Jedda's Parents on Thursday night, and ergo, Bruce and Glenys for stirring up the neighbourhood and letting 6 or 7 kombi's camp on their lawn in downtown Patho. And lastly to everyone that got in a kombi and made an effort to get to such a special event, I know it wasn't just for me, but it enhanced my experience and made me feel all sad when I had to leave, which means I had a great time....:)

I don't have much time to post lately, but I still have the spirit and it gets renewed every year at Bus Stop....Most of all thanks to Melissa for making it possible and to Roy for starting such a grand thing all those years ago...seems such a long time since Canberra, and for it just keeps getting better.....

Oh and I can't wait for you all to watch River grow at each Bus Stop and very excitingly, Melissa and Laine gave River, Laine's first fire staff...I can't wait to see him twirl he will outdo me for sure...I still remember my first lesson at a Bus Stop, I think number 2 with Glow Monkey and Laine...and now she has passed the baton. :) Now we have a small staff, until River can use it, my mission is to get Choco's girls twirling...they squealed when I mentioned it, in fear, but I bet they love it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  14. Necro

Necro Active Member

That's why you got an award Darl, Thanks so much for coming Judy...:)

15. xerxes

xerxes Member

Who could not give this gorgeous baby loads of love - it was an absolute pleasure - (although there was a fair bit of snot...:eek: ) - he looks well at home in tha kombi :)

[​IMG]

16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Looks just like his Da with his dummy!

17. Royce

Royce Active Member

I just want to add my heartfelt thanks for an awesome event. My kids are still blabbering about it and getting very excited about a trip to Qld next year. It was the first time my four younger ones had ever camped (Brian and I being seasoned professionals! LOL) and while thy were initially a little overwhelmed with the idea, they quickly took to it likes troopers - pun intended:)

To Melissa and all the organising crew a huge thanks, to the people who continually returned my beligerent door opening/closing escape artist, much gratitude, to old friends who we reconnected with much love, and to all who travelled with us and made us so welcome thanks so much.

we are all looking forward to another great event next year, this time with our beloved Lola and hopefully a matching teardrop. For now, unpacking will continue for some time, and then re-packing in preparation for Valla. See you all soon.

Royce and the kids:D

18. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Where do I start....
    My one bright light this last 12 months was to get Channon ready & hit the road to the Bus Stop.
    Well I did it...& I got home about 5.15 this evening ...without a hiccup...
    Funny walking back into my place...I feel like a stranger been gone so long!!

Now for the Thank You's....just some of the people I caught up with...
    Over the last 21 days I have to thank the following people...

Lorraine & Andy: for the most welcomed stay over... I"m coming over soon & raiding ugly Betty for parts :lol:
    Melissa & Scotty: Like I said Scotty you have to sell your T25, your Bay & your house...then you can have Channon :lol:
    Jono: Thanks for for the drinks night, was great to meet your friends, see your Dad again, & met your mum...
    & for the Oil...& showing me where Juz's place was...
    Get your car fixed ...& plan to come to Valla!!
    Don: thanks for the Pizza night out....always nice to catch up with you...you old Hippy!!
    Juz & Indali: thanks for the stay & the catch up...you both are beautiful!! xx
    Carl: I saw briefly but wonderful to see you...sorry I didnt return your call but I was on the phone chatting & it got too late...

Royce:...arhhhh Braidwood can relax again...that funny looking Hippy has left finally!!!
    I really enjoyed staying with you even though everyone in that small town knew exactly where Channon & I was at all times...a few kombi owners live there !!!
    Tell Matt I said "I will return one day with another bottle of green fairy & put him in another alcoholic "Coma"!!...." :p
    Say Hi to the beautiful couple at "Hoola Hoop" for me...
    And Thank you Darling...you are a hell of a drinking Buddy...you are just dam Gorgous!!!
    Andrew: was great to catch up with you too Hun....Hope your easter was quiet & nice....hehehe

To everyone I convoyed with...thank you for sharing your journey with me...
    Necro & Jedda & meeting River finally xx
    To Nathan & Taras thank you for letting me share your cabin...
    To Jann & Wally sorry to roll up at your busiest time of the day...but I enjoyed my visit, lunch & coffee...we will catch up at Valla!!

To the usual suspects I laughed with, partyed with, drank with, chatted to, hugged & caught up with ...you were all worth every mile I travelled!!

By the way I would like to share my "Most travelled Award" with Wes (Dingo)
    I may have drove for miles but he flew here from another country...!!!
    What he payed in air fair I spend in fuel & accomodation :lol:
    so kudos to Wes... Hun your a star!!

Thanks again for all the smiles and all the constant love. My heart is full. Thank you.
    all my lovin' xxx

Just so you can all start thinking about coming to the Bus Stop next year here in
    Qld....
    Channon used $667.19 Fuel (she isn't your standard 1600 by the way)
    We did 2805 miles
    In 21 days

My motto for the day "Girls can do anything!!"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  19. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Thank you AlPal, I am not used to kindness particularly from people who know me. My mother , all 85 years of her, wishes to thank all the club people for the absolute time of her life. She fair percolated with happiness all the way home and continues to do so. I had no doubt she would have a fab time knowing the qualities of Club members as I do. They are the same qualities that have drawn me to 3 Bustops in a row now with the 4th one next year , a certainty.Similarly , the posting of articulate dementia . I marvel at the warmth and fervour of greetings in the first part of every Bustop....my family do not greet me with such warmth. ( But then they know me better ! ) Next year will transcend the flying 5 day whirl that has so characterized my last 3 Bustops, as the distance will countenance no less than 10- 12 days. I look forward to ambushing the Vic convoy and derailing the NSW one with a few refreshments intermittently. In the interim, I shall continue to annoy and befuddle on this forum, but I most sincerely wish ewes all, continued heath, vigour and happiness until I get to hug yez again, in 12 months. May your God bless yers all and ya Kombis. Most sincerely, John Doherty in Adelaide {and his Mum}:heart:

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

:eek: What another awesome event - Thankyou Melissa for your outstanding efforts at pulling a fantastic weekend away together - yet again.

The organisers for 2013 have BIG boots to fill.

Of course it was great to meet up with a wonderfull bunch of people again.

Myself and Dave hit the road early on monday morning to get back home for dave to get back to work on Tuesday. We enjoye dthe most amazing sunrise over the plains leading towards Hay - which was an interesting experience in its self - dont EVER trust a GPS

Another big "dont" I learnt from the weekend is dont trust the doctors at swan hill hospital - After haveing a nasty rash on my legs I sought some medical attention to be told it was a virus andthere was nothing they could do and it would go away - which of course put a hugh damper on my time away. ONLY to get home and find out it WAS flea bites :eek:

Bernie