1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushfires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Many of us are affected, or close to being affected, or know someone who has suffered, so rather than going “off topic” with other threads, I thought a new thread would keep it altogether.

Has to be the worst fire season ever recorded, and methods of fire fighting, used for decades, are just not working this time around.

Adding to the problem, is the ongoing drought, the unkind weather, and the actual amount of serious fires ongoing simultaneously. Where in the past, you could easily bring in crews, trucks and aircraft from other parts of a state, and interstate to assist in the battle, this time resources are spread so wide, that it’s made it all the more dire, this season.

The fires themselves, are also a very different animal this season - 70 metre + flame heights, simultaneous combustion as they crown, winds pushing fires faster than vehicles, and weather patterns being created by the fires themselves, like pyro cumulus fire tornados, that can lift an 8 tonne fire truck off the ground, and drop it back to earth with fatal results for the occupants, is unprecedented.

I’m keen to know that @JaneC & @Hutchie are OK. Both have fires very near them, and I hope they are / will be spared direct impact.

I had a long chat with Paul, @Ninga , and we have a similar attitude - rather give it a red hot go, than do nothing. It will either work, or not, but you have to try.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Elsie 76, Ninga, Wattie and 6 others like this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You also have @onetrackwonder has moved from his unfinished house as the fires are close to his area as well. He is currently in Sydney.

3. Grantus

I did see that Greg’s patch in Tilba was under threat. :(

Hope he chose the T3SC as his mode of transport. :rolleyes:

4. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

I hope all of you get through ok.
    We passed a fire out from Dalby on the way up before Xmas. Came down from Grafton to Armidale through Nymboida the other day. Bridges burnt, signs melted and burnt trees within metres of many houses. The forests are decimated, yet only a short time on the trees are throwing on new growth.
    The volunteer firies and all the other people working through this time deserve all our thanks and best wishes. If there is a way we as individuals or as groups can help we should do so.
    Stay safe everyone.

chris taylor likes this.
  5. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

I saw a post elsewhere this morning suggesting once the fires are over and things are getting back to normal, that we should holiday in the affected towns. Arrive with empty eskies not full ones, refill our supplies at shops, buy food from local takeaways, stay in local accommodation, refill our fuel tank at whatever the going price at the small garage. Bring money back into the local economies.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree absolutely 100%....well posted.
    Whenever we travel we only take what is necessary to get us to our destination.....then stock up there.......wherever that is.
    More than ever, 2020 should be the year that we follow this suggestion.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. Grantus

Eight of us this afternoon stood up a heavy & a medium tanker. After cracking the doors, and running all the necessary pump and equipment checks, to ensure everything is working as we hope, we then went into the “tea room” to fill out the necessary paperwork, before heading out.

There was a knock on the door, which in itself was unusual, as everyone just walks in and out as required, so a knock actually got our attention.

Opened the door, and a random lady was standing there with 3 heavy shopping bags. “Can I help you?”.... “I was just wanting to drop this off as we really appreciate all your efforts”, was her reply.

She delivered 4 x 1.5 litre bottles of assorted soft drinks, 2 x loaves of bread, a large tray of sausages, a tray of meat patties, a tray of rissoles, a large packet of cheese slices, a full tub of margarine........... and even a bottle of tomato sauce!

We thanked her accordingly, and after she left, we thought we should have got her name, to make her a support member to our brigade!

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone going thru this tomorrow.

oldman likes this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, our positive thoughts are with anyone affected.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

wirrah likes this.
  10. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

If I had to evacuate, I think I'd be so panicked that I wouldn't know what to take with me. I came across this checklist online and thought it good advice. Especially the part about taking photos of your home, rooms and valuables. Some insurance companies will only replace things that you can prove you owned in the first place. Even if your house doesn't burn down, apparently there's looters raiding deserted houses.
    Evacuation.jpg

drivesafe, David H, oldman and 4 others like this.
  11. Grantus

Excellent find & advice Tee Bee. Well done. :)

grumble and TeeBee like this.
  12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Bloody fires just keep coming from everywhere , we head home in Monday so hoping to get through on Tuesday, lots stuck on the paddock at the moment, lucky your daughter and family fly out Monday. So they be home that night,

oldman likes this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Just my interpretation of the map but likely a heroic s##tfight to save Batlow today.
    Along the huge fire front a dent without fire developed around Batlow.
    Seems a lot of spotting occured late avo and now cut of on northern side so all roads out cut?
    https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au

Any news Chrissy?

14. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard from Pete (rabid kombi) in the Blue Mountains the last message I had from him was 21/12/2019 & hope is and Lisa are OK.

15. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

A fireproof safe with either your original or copies of the essential paperwork and photos or your hard drives with them on it is also good.

TeeBee likes this.
  16. johnvw

johnvw Member

Not a bad idea.... maybe take a full car load of food and hand it out to locals or businesses (IGA s and Supermarkets) then buy it back. This would do two things.. help restock the town and put money into the town.

17. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Maybe we not leaving

Latest update from Caiguna Roadhouse, 4th January 2020....

DFES have just informed us that catastrophic fire conditions are predicted for Monday & Tuesday, so there is the high chance that the roads will not open then. Storms are predicted with lightning so there is every chance more spot fires may occur.

They are encouraging everyone who has the ability to head back east.

Good news, they have arranged for all meals to be supplied by the roadhouse and the roadhouse will be compensated for their costs. This is a huge relief for us who are running low on food. Showers are now free for everyone to use.

Feeling quite deflated about the situation about the fires, after being on the road for nearly 3 years we were looking forward to returning home to see our friends and family. It looks like we will have to wait a bit longer now to see everyone. Serious consideration to leave here now and head back to SA, reluctantly but we may have no choice.

18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Run home whilst you can BrianK . Travel another time.
    Good luck.

grumble and BrianK like this.
  19. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Our kids don’t want us to go, but we need to be close by when the door open

Ninga likes this.
  20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Just an FYI,

04 Jan 2020

“Defence has opened bases from Brisbane to Adelaide for the use of any member of the public needing short-term evacuation assistance. Defence will provide a bed, meals and basic necessities to evacuees at our bases. Please call 1800 DEFENCE for details of the base locations.”

Please share with friends and family who are impacted by the fires.

TeeBee, tintop, Wayne murray and 5 others like this.