1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushfires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Jan 2, 2020.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good luck Grant .

Grantus and tintop like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Might want to rethink that observation, Grant.
    Fire affected communities are extremely grateful for the assistance they have received from the services.
    It’s an unfortunate incident......I’m pretty sure that they are trying their best.....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

5. saabman

A friend in south Canberra sent me a photo of the fire from his place. you can see the flames ripping through the trees but the sun was also setting behind the smoke and amplified the effect making it almost look like a volcano.

6. Grantus

Fair call. Yes, generally they are being helpful.

Defence has now changed operating procedures for landing their choppers.......... would have been more convenient, if those changes were instigated last week..o_O

oldman and TeeBee like this.
  7. saabman

Here’s the view from south Canberra towards Tharwa last night 9666C9CC-3F72-4A3F-8E35-8C7DB37A7610.jpeg

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

FARK!!!!!

Grantus and TeeBee like this.
  9. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking, Barry! Good luck, @Grantus. Hoping for a favourable wind change for you.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    tintop and Grantus like this.
  10. oldman

X2 Grant.......holding thumbs for you both......and your Workshop :eek:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus and tintop like this.
  11. Grantus

Cheers Bernie! We don’t get to see those awesome colours being a little too “up close and personal” to the edge. ;)

Still all good today - fire has expanded a little on the north, quite a lot on the west, and not really at all on the east (our side).

The waiting game continues....... :rolleyes:

The weather forecast for the next 4 days, look a little less than ideal, but we’ll see just have to see what happens.

Probably more suitable for the “WPMO” thread, was the way the notifying agencies handled the situation yesterday. When the fire direction changed from what they predicted, during the afternoon, the “panic button” was suddenly pushed, to take it to “emergency level” and “evacuate now”, around 4pm.

No problem with that, as those that should evacuate were gathering up kids, and pets to begin to leave.

30 mins later, the message was “It’s now too late to leave, seek shelter”! WTF? :confused: The roads were all clear, with zero threat of fire or even smoke hindering the path and the fire was still 8kms away, and heading in a different direction. Who pushed THAT panic button at 4.30???

Subsequently downgraded to a “watch & act” around 10pm, and even downgraded this afternoon to “advice” level.

No wonder our phones, messages and email were suddenly swamped with offers of help or accomodation, from many concerned friends.

onetrackwonder likes this.
  12. oldman

Grant, 9 news just ran a story of an appliance that was hit by a falling tree......injured 3 of 4 occupants.....
    Are you ok ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

cbus likes this.
  13. Grantus

Still all good here, thanks Mark. ;)

Was a NSW RFS crew from Jerrabomberra Creek Brigade, and luckily no fatalities. 2 have already been released from hospital. Those trees are called “widow makers” for a good reason. :eek:

The truck just passed by here 10 minutes ago, on the back of semi trailer.

oldman and cbus like this.
  14. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

One thing I learned as an RFS member is that the number one risk was falling trees.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Grantus likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

16. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Ditto...

Grantus likes this.
  17. Grantus

What’s going on? Well I woke up this morning and went outside. Now for weeks, on bad days, the air quality bounces around between “poor”, “very poor” & “hazardous”.

The smoke settled in overnight, and visibility was less than 50m, so I think I’ve invented another category worse than “Hazardous”. I call it “A Bit Ordinary”, as that’s what it was this morning! :rolleyes:

Carole had a “long time to get” Doctor’s appointment this afternoon, so I looked at the different fire maps, the weather forecast, and then the best method - walk to the road and have a good look around, to decide whether to take her to the appointment. The fire front was 2.8kms away, but I didn’t think it would get too much closer, so we told the neighbour’s we’d be back around 5pm, and also saw our brigade Captain parked on the side of the road in the Command vehicle. I stopped and told him of my plans, and that I had my fire gear in the car, and my RFS ID, to help get past the Police roadblock to get back home.

He said, “Just mention hoses and reels, to baffle them”.... :D

When I got back home, the leading edge is still over 2kms away, but the fireground has increased in size, another 4,000 hectares. Mainly to the south east (causing a higher alert level down there), and west, which is pretty much the amount and direction that I thought it would do before I left home.

41.5 degrees at 4.30pm today was a bit excessive, (still 40 degrees as I type at 6.45pm).

To sum up, it has moved closer to impacting, but I doubt it will be tonight. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day..... It’s up to how kind the weather will be, as to if it impacts and the intensity of the impact. The Weather forecast is looking less than ideal. o_O

So the waiting game continues........

BTW, “plug” for the neighbours business, @oldman & @Barry . Class bookings for knife courses at The Tharwa Valley Forge, have taken a substantial hit on the bookings and cancellations, so if you are keen to do a course in 2020, there’s not the 6 months + waiting list, like there usually is. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Syncro27, wirrah, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  18. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hang in there Grant, hope things improve.

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Thanks Grantus.

Hope you have your fridge stocked with Corona

I might contact @oldman and hatch a plan.
    Pretty sure my sons would be keen ( if I pay)

20. Grantus

Cheers Phil! :)

Now this would have been the ideal weekend for Nils to stay over....... could have put him to good use! :p