1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying & Fitting a UHF Radio

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by STUPOT, Sep 2, 2019.

1. STUPOT

STUPOT Member

G'day,
    Does anyone have a UHF Radio fitted?
    Looking for a heads up on whether to buy a UHF & have it fitted in Heidi or possibly go with a plug & play UHF radio?
    Not sure I want a great big FO Antenna stuck on heidi.
    Any info / knowledge / experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    :oops::oops::oops::confused::oops::oops::oops:

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. Marzy

Marzy Well-Known Member

hi Stupot

Depends on how much range you want from you uhf? I have a uhf in my work Ute with a simple 2 foot whip on the bull bar and its good for about 20km. We also have some cheap handheld units that are great when camping/bushwalking with the kids but would max out at 500m - would work in a Kombi convoy! :D ;)

Mr Beckstar and STUPOT like this.
  3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I have had a uhf in Patches now for 10 yrs would not b without it .Brand is Gme. My antennae is a 12 in Flexipole mounted at the back of my pack rack between that and the pop top. Get maximum range this way ,if mounted on bull bar you may reduce the range ,higher the better .suggest you look up on Google , Fitting UHF radios or some such site, lots of info there regards where to fit ,how to gain maximum range ,and how the aerials pattern works ,what aerials to use .also on same site you can find a list of channels available for you to use.Remember not all channels are for. public use. Would defiantly not be without mine.
    Stick with brand names and buy where there is back up should you need it.
    Buying off eBay or internet could leave you in a quandary if it breaks down. Remember cheap is not always the way to go .stick with tried and tested brands .
    Cheers Chris.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have a GMC fitted in a cradle on the dash of the camper. I mounted the arial on the bull bar. The arial had two options of either a 6db or 9db depending on how the antenna was fitted together. The 6db gave me about 20km of range which proved very adequate for me. The radio can be taken out of the rack and be used as a handheld but to be honest it stayed where it was as I already had some smaller handhelds.

Ian

5. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I think you guys mean GME, great aussie made radio gear.

6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Lol yep yr correct
    Sorry for the mistake.