1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C V Replacement

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by tomar, Jul 21, 2015.

1. tomar

tomar Member

I am sure there have been many threads on this subject, I am replacing the cvs, new ones are GKN,and they will only go onto the shaft as far as the circlip groove. The old ones slid off easily. Do the new ones need to be pressed on ? Can I tap them on using a hammer and wood so as not to dammage the joint ? Thanks

2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I've found a new GKN has practically nil tolerance compared to an 'old faithful' especially during assembly. Might work with a bit of cv grease on the splines and maybe a bit of steel pipe or even the appropriate size large socket to use as something to gently tap on with a hammer? Sometimes if someone has tried to hammer the old one off and not done it in a balanced kind of way it can start to roll the splines making it harder to get a different cv onto the axle.

3. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Bit of a love tap with a hammer and block of wood is fine, sometimes you get a slight burr/ridge around the circlip groove...

4. tomar

tomar Member

Thanks guys , all done and back on the road