1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cab Door Reassembly

Discussion in 'Body' started by Mellow Yellow 74, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I am reassembling my cab doors and am having problems with the inner scraper and the bailey channel.

I have installed the inner scraper and am using a small screwdriver to push the wire clips through (as recommended on some threads in this forum) and they have all gone in ok, apart from the rear ones on each side. The wire needs to be pushed forward but is too close to the corner of the window to get the screwdriver in at the angle I need.

I am starting to mangle the rubber on the corner of the inner scraper and have just managed to damage the rubber on the outer scraper, so it is time to stop. Maybe the wire was in the rubber the wrong way and I should be pushing backwards, but it is too late because the others are all in.

Also I have tried to install the bailey channel and am struggling to get it down around the glass inside the door and to bend it around the corner of the door without mangling it?

Does anyone have any tips?

Regards,
    Daniel

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I followed the link provided by vwfreak03 and can only remember swearing a few times. If the trim/outer strip is new then it would require some modification, part of a tab needed to be removed to allow felt clip to engage in hole. I think you will either need to get the clips engaged or remove them as they will interfere with your window glass. The bailey channel caused me some frustration also. I found that a head torch was useful (or a penlight held in mouth) to see what is going on whilst carefully manipulating felt down channel down and pushing glass back and up. Hope this helps, or even makes sense?

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

There has been a lot written on here about this subject over the years. Frankie and Aime I seem to remember having comments which might be points to search on.

Adrian

5. Mellow Yellow 74

After much rooting around I finally got the inner scrapers in and here is my advice:

- when rebuildling cab doors do the inner scaper before doing anything else to make it easier and avoid damaging anything else (I did it after the outer scraper and 1/4 window was in which made it harder).

- put masking tape along both sides of the edge of the door, but not right over the edge otherwise the scraper will sit on top of it.

- remove the wire from the scraper and put it in so the "points" face backwards (I initially did it with the points facing forwards which was how it came but I couldn't push the rear corner in with the screwdriver this way) .

- don't bend/squeeze the points in to make them easier to fit in because they may not spring out properly (I did this for the rear corner and it would go in but not stay in).

- start at the rear corner because this is the trickiest one to get in (I initially left this until last but couldn't do it so had to remove it and start again)

- get a helper to hold a torch and the other end of the scraper so it doesn't flap around and scratch the paint.

- hold the scraper so the point of the left hand end is in the little slot in the rear corner with the right hand end is pointing up and out of the door - the end slot is at a funny angle and you need to make the wire point line up at the same angle.

-hold the wire at the second or third point along and hold it so the end point sits perpendicular to the slot and does not twist flat.

- use a small screwdriver to push the wire point into the slot backwards until it clicks in - after about 20 attempts you should be able to get it in

- work your way along from the rear corner and do one at a time - the rest pop in pretty easily.

I reckon this is amongst the most awkward and frustrating jobs you can do on a kombi.

6. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

x2......i agree!!

by the way.....did u swear many times?

7. Mellow Yellow 74

Yep, I swore frequently, loudly and creatively

8. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

That is why our bus is still called Heidi but the passenger door is called B*****D!

9. cameron

cameron Member

I'm a bit late to this but if you unscrew the window and drop it down into the door it makes the job much easier.