1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camp Treachery -aka - A Dingo Stole My Minties

Discussion in 'NSW' started by melissa, Feb 8, 2009.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Well well... a bit of a small turnout but it didn't matter. We had Greenbay77 (Jay and Neen with Ella and Scott), Ganga (Chris and Heidi with their 2 boys and a friend Rick with his little boy) and Frank and Brenda with their son and daughter. A new member joined us in a blue 89 T3 that he had picked up in Queensland - he was a friend of the person we know that works at the park so Scott already knew him - it turns out he had run into the Queensland Christmas Party on the Sunshine Coast but couldn't join in with you lot as he was on his way to somehwere else.

We took the Bay for its maiden camping trip - now this is where it gets interesting - the steering is a bit strange and I was getting blown all over the road, it was like it was over correcting itself so that really needs to be looked at.

Jay found us a really shady spot - despite the heat in the rest of NSW, we had a great spot. A bit of a hike to the beach but once there it was lovely. The water was freezing (16C) but the waves were ok. The true meaning of camping to kids is DIRT - and we had plenty of that to go round!!! LOL

The wildlife in this park is abundant - lots of bush turkeys, goannas, kookaburras, and dingos, hence the title - one of the funniest things we saw was a dingo running off from someones campsite with a big bag of minties in its mouth!!! There was no way anyone was going to get the bag off him - he took off.

Now for the bummer of the weekend -
    went for a quick trip yesterday into Seal Rocks to get fresh bread. Drove in there no probs, its only a couple of k's on dirt but its rough, drove back ok, but when I got back I thought I smelt petrol. I let it pass and a couple of hours later - I could still smell petrol... hmmm... so I have a look and I find my LHS carbie is leaking fuel and my RHS carbie has a split hose... great.... there is no way I am driving home with petrol leaking. So I call the NRMA - I have premium cover so I thought I would have it towed home and get a hire car back later this afternoon. Slight problem - the hire car is at Taree and they wont stick it on the tow truck that is coming to pick up the Kombi as they need me to go and sign for it and the NRMA wont pay the $250 for a taxi to take me from Treachery to Taree - so we have to jump in the double cab of the towtruck and head home with the towie - another slight problem - he is on his way and I have to run around and pull down the tent and pack our stuff in 5 minutes flat - huge thanks to Frank and Brenda and the kids for helping me get my family back to the campsite and for helping me pull down our tent . Just to top it off - the kombi then had a flat battery and wouldnt start so I couldnt even drive it to the top of the caravan park to make it easy for him to get on the tow truck - I thought the towie was pissed off when I wasn't ready when he got there - he thawed out a bit during the 115k's back home.

So here are some photos -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. melissa

[​IMG]
    Laine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chris and Heidi

[​IMG]
    Jack, Kade and Ashley

3. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Great stuff...sorry to hear about the troubles with new bus but your all home safe now..
    dingos are a bit of a worry....makes us wish we came along now..i think we were just all travelled out..

4. melissa

[​IMG]
    Jay and Neen

[​IMG]
    Scott's shorts.

[​IMG]
    Ella and Kade

[​IMG]
    Callan

5. melissa

[​IMG]
    Laine

[​IMG]
    Laine

Some of the wildlife...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Would have loved to see the dingo and the minties :lol:

Apart from the mechanical glitches it looks like you all had a lovely time.
    I think I need to get a few lessons from Laine she seems to have really mastered the pois.

7. melissa

8. melissa

We were just not quick enough to get a picture of the dingo with the minites - we tried.

9. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I really resent this accusation. I don't even like minties - they break my dentures.

Looks like a brilliant spot and good kombi times! Thanks for the tip and the story. Nice one.

10. greenbay

greenbay New Member

after scott got called out of the surf to pack up for the towtruck the swell picked up to 5 ft and the waves were cranking,i surfed for 4 hours....not really.
    what a great weekend,i will try to post more pics and add some more tales if i can get out of neens mum and dads and finally get home.
    p.s jono is scared of dingos,thats the real reason for his no show,it had nothing to do with a fuel pump.

11. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your first trip out didnt go to plan, but its a good thing that you smelt the fuel, it could have turned quite nasty.
    Great photos but you seem to be missing the one of your kombi on the two truck????
    Glad to hear you made it home safe.

12. Ganga

Ganga Active Member

Hi all, had a great time, home now finally got the kids clean, they loved getting dirty, the sand dunes were a great workout especially carrying crying kids over them, all worth it to make it to such a beautiful beach though. Hi Melissa, after this trip have you named your kombi yet? Great job Laine love your photography, Rick also took a few and said he will post some of them later. Did you have to move a log to get your bus out? We saw a huge log had been moved when we returned from the beach.

13. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Gypsy's dingo cross always steals our toothpaste!
    Maybe it's a mint thing!

Ray & da Boyz

14. melissa

Hi Chris, yes they did move that log so that the tow truck could get down closer and get it onto the back of the truck - without getting bogged or wiping the kombi out on trees. It gave all the other campers something to entertain them with!
    As for a name - how about "Trouble"? or P.O.S if you asked Scott (the P stands for piece, the O stands for of and you can guess what the S stands for ;) )
    Michelle, I tried to get a shot but the camera was inside the kombi and all of our gear got put inside in a hurry and I just couldn't find it quick enough before we set off. The tow truck driver wasn't all that keen on how difficult a job it was to start off with and I didnt want to annoy him too much. Oh well...

15. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Looks like Jay was in trouble in that photo of the two of us..... wonder what for this time!!

16. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Upon pain of Death!......(sorry Neen!)

[​IMG]

17. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Funny stuff Craig.Funnier still is the fact that after spending a weekend surrounded by wildlife Neen is currently at the vets dropping off a baby possum we found on our street and then she's off to the doctors to recieve treatment for the possum bite on her hand.
    Jay

18. Frank

Frank Active Member

[​IMG]

The camp site was kept relatively cool by the overall tree coverage - great camping spot with heaps of space for everyone. As usual - we had a good time.

[​IMG]

..mmm just noticed one of the kids on the roof - hope he didn't stay there for the trip back to Newcastle??
    ( ... all 3 Kombis are '77 ones - I think?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  19. Frank

Frank Active Member

20. Frank

Frank Active Member