1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campmobile tailgate sticker

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by airhead3837, Oct 16, 2014.

1. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

I have a 1975 Sopru camper and am having some of the stickers reproduced before I repaint it. The one I'm stuck on is the campmobile sticker, as mine is very faded and crazed and I can't peel any off to send as a sample to the printer. Mine looks to be black and white, but I've read on older threads that they were a very dark blue, was this true for all as there is no trace of blue on mine? I'm assuming the pattern in the black background of mine is due to age and that originally it was a solid colour? I've also read the white is a translucent colour, does this mean it was originally like a pearl meatallic? If anyone knows the details of the exact colour description I would be very gratefull, the kombi is almost all original and I want to keep it looking that way. 1; Campmobile Sticker 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The colour was dark blue. The repo ones are black.

3. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Thanks Phill, do you know where a good picture of one is that I could use to show the printer the shade of blue?

4. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

sample camper sticker.jpg
    I've been sent the artwork for the decals I'm having reproduced. Does anyone know if this is close to the original colour of the campmobile sticker on the tailgate?

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

No it was much, much darker almost black and I may be wrong but I think it was iridescent. Phill (syncro) will be able to confirm.

6. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Thanks Lorraine. The original sticker on mine was very aged, it looked black with a blue sheen (Is that what you mean by iridescent?). Any input is appreciated.
    The printer will have these and the other decals he is making for me on file, when I have the finished stickers on the van I'll post photos & the link to his website for anyone else who is interested.

ruby6689 likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct.

ruby6689 likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Try contacting warb on here as he does that stuff and could help ;)

airhead3837 likes this.
  9. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

The finished decal. Vinyl decal with UV resistant ink. May not be dark enough (thoughts?), but can order with colour change now the template is done. The design matches up perfectly with the stencil I made from the original. If anyone's interested contact Dave at Graffix Unlimited on 0438 318 389 or check out his website http://www.grafixunlimited.com.au/ . I had 3 other decals made up which I'll post. Campmobile Sticker.jpg Campmobile Sticker 2.jpg

Borgey and melissa like this.
  10. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

The paint code decal for my van. Printed on gold foil like the original. Paint Code Decal.jpg

jobell and Borgey like this.
  11. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

The body code decal on the front drivers door pillar. Printed on aluminium like the original. I know my body is a 234 (transporter), but the sticker that was on my van when I bought it was a 245 (pickup)??? It looked like the original from the factory, the exterior had been previously been repainted, but not the interior. Maybe the person on the factory production line that day had a brainfreeze, or there's more to body codes than I realise or for some unknown reason a previous owner removed the original & replaced it with the wrong code? body code decal.jpg

Borgey likes this.
  12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's definitely the best repro campmobile sticker that I have seen. The script is very close. It could be a bit darker.

Unfortunately this is the only picture that I have of mine which was taken in 1978.

[​IMG]

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

That's a nice looking camper you had, I have a similar set of hotwire mags on my bug, but they look far more worn out than those. If I can find a piece of paper with the correct colour I can send it to him to print off

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Got to be happy with them ;)

airhead3837 likes this.
  15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The Kombi was bought new from the VW dealer at Taren Point. Hibiscus Motors, which is not far from you.

16. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

I remember that place. My uncle worked there, I think it was late 70's. Then he went to Tooley's imports.

17. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Spent many a time there. Dad bought his '75 Microbus there and it was just around the corner from home. I remember the day there was a gale blowing and the big ladybug on the roof blew off and landed on the roof of a microbus putting a large dent in it (the microbus). It was bought out by Tynan Motors in the late 70s...

18. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Looks great, like Phill I think it needs to be a bit darker.

airhead3837 likes this.
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nice result. :)

And yes, as previously stated, probably not dark enough when new........ but hey, great touch to the bus, and the only ones that will notice the colour difference, are the fanatics here. ;)

So the colour looks about 4 to 6 years old, as opposed to new...... well done!

ruby6689 likes this.
  20. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Lol, 4 to 6 years old is fine, the camper fitout is 40 years old. Dave, who made them, said if I can get my hands on anything of the same colour & send it to him he'll make a print with the correct colour. It's handy now he has them on file.