1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campmobile tailgate sticker

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by airhead3837, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Well, the 40 year old one........will look lke your earlier pic. ;)

airhead3837 likes this.
  2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

airhead3837 likes this.
  3. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Stickers look great mate. Were these stickers produced originally by vw or did they come with the Sopru conversion? I would like to have one on my van but it's a TRAKKA so don't want to look like a confused loser!
    Cheers

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Sopru was the Volkswagen Australia approved converter which in the mid 70s was owned by Volkswagen Australia (LNC Industries).

If you bought a brand new VW camper from a dealer it was a Sopru or a Dormobile conversion. Only the Sopru converted vans had the "Campmobile" sticker.

5. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Don't think il put one on, but gee they look cool.

6. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Found this
    2015 04 02 006.jpg

Don't know that it is original. The vehicle had a Sopru roof but had Sunliner decals on the side. Taken at Heatherbrae Pie Shop in April.

airhead3837 likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's a modern repro.

8. jobell

jobell Active Member

Wow, loving your attention to detail!

airhead3837 likes this.
  9. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Hi Airhead3837, great job on the decals. It is one of the things I was concerned about and wanted to be able to purchase one or two before I started my strip down before the rebuild. I have a '76 Sopru so it is an important feature that needs to be included at the end of the build.

ruby6689 likes this.
  10. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Thanks for all your input Phil. There's little to no information around to reference.

11. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Nice looking camper you have there. I've posted the contact details for the guy who made these decals for me on the picture of the campmobile decal on this thread. As has been pointed out it the original is darker. If you can find the exact colour he can print it off in that, otherwise request the darkest blue he can print. I'm happy enough with his work that I'm now looking at getting some more reproductions of other decals made.

ruby6689 and Elsie 76 like this.
  12. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

Reproduction of the decal on the side window at the rear. Because I want to preserve the original, I bought a new window glass to install on the van & fix the decal to. The original is safely put aside with other original parts I've replaced. I think this decal gives some interesting history to the van. Like the other decals I had made I'm very happy with the detail. DSC_0566b.jpg

Happy_Camper, Elsie 76 and ruby6689 like this.
  13. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

That was something I was concerned about when I decided to respray. If you contact Dave at graffix unlimited, ask for a much darker blue. It looks good having the new decal on fresh paint

14. Elsie 76

Thanks Airhead3837; I've finally got Elsie back from the mechanics and gave it a clean up on the weekend. To my surprise I have an original Sopru sticker on the right hand rear window, which is starting to deteriorate so I think I might get it done as well. My bus is fairly original and the Campmobile sticker is the original one that came with it. I also have the original foil stickers inside. I'll take photos of them all and post them.

ruby6689 likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very confused camper :confused:

16. Elsie 76

image.jpeg Please see attached the original "Campmobile" tailgate sticker which is black on foil with a clear coating on it. The clear coating has crazed and the sticker is looking very thin.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Looks blue to me.

18. Elsie 76

Yeah it does; but sometimes in the print industry blue is added to black to make it look blacker? image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The originals were blue.

ruby6689 likes this.
  20. airhead3837

airhead3837 Member

It looks like it is in better condition than the one that was originally on mine. You could try peeling off a bit & posting it down to Dave. Mine appeared to be black at first glance but could definitely see a blueish tinge even though it was very weathered.
    I'm planning on posting the tyre pressure placard soon to be reproduced. When I can find a good picture of the valve gap setting decal on the fan shroud I'll get that made up too.