1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Ball joints?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by MatB, Jul 30, 2008.

1. beep

beep Member

Thanks Matt. Great info.

I had a couple of ball joints done about a year ago (just the bottom two I think) and a wheel bearing for about $400 from memory. Thats drive in drive out.

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Not sure about the bay but for the bug ones I used some steel pipe scraps that I had laying around. Mybe someone who's done bay's could confirm or deny if this is the same?

3. MatB

MatB New Member

Well i have picked up the 4 arms with brand new german ball joints pressed into them. Total cost was $580. The ball joints cost me $380 and there was a $200 labour charge. I don't think its cheap but the workshop i took them too was upfront and honest about the price and has delivered what he said he would in a 1 day turn around so all in all not bad.
    MatB

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I am still in the though that it might be better to get them done drive in drive out. My father in law has a 20 ton press but the adapter to fit the new ones in might be a bit harder to find.

Dave, you are welcome to give it a try if you would like to do yours. have you got a spare arm around with a stuffed one in it we could play with to see what is involved?

Adrian

5. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

This is something needed on my bus too. I've taken it to the Chief at Indian Automotive in Kingswood. It was nearly 3 months ago now, but he quoted $82.50 for each on an exchange. I plan to do it that way. He's been very helpful and patient with me as a DIY bus owner.

6. MatB

MatB New Member

I have read a few articles about arms on exchange. It seems to be the easiest way if you can find somebody who does it within driving distance.
    MatB

7. Empi Baja

Empi Baja Member

I did them myself with assistance when i did my work experiance at the local VW shop, its so easy with a press. Just pop them out, pop them back in, grease the front beam and off you go. But it doew pay to have the right equipment and decent nerves cause when the first balljoint popped out it made a great deal of noise and i jumped pretty high!

8. Ijam

Ijam Member

Hi FYI I did my 4 ball joints last week, I dropped the arms in to Selby suspensions in Nowra NSW to remove ball joint and press in new parts supplied by myself total cost $98.00 . I think a bargain I jam.

David H likes this.
  9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

as long as febi joints are used (genuine) and supplied and the arms are out, I remove and replace for $20 a joint
    I have the special jigs and a 20 tonne press
    The JK ones have had problems (too tight), they distort going in
    I can supply the ball joints but will have to get a price

David H, grumble and cbus like this.
  10. Ijam

Ijam Member

Thanks for the info , and looks like a good price !! my joints are all done and dusted ,re JK ball joints wonder how many are plodding around Europe and Ozz as an old mechanic I believe it’s all quality control . I jam.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Newbie? Should put a post up in the “New Members” section, and introduce yourself, so more of us can say: Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Enjoy the ride..... ;)

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Might be one reason some people have stiff steering with new ball joints ?

13. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

The joints have a few crimps around rim on the arms to secure them in place & often takes a lot of pressure to push them through so they go off with a bang.

14. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If you do the job yourself
    There are 2 lugs 180 deg apart on the rim of the arm where the ball joint sits
    make sure the 2 square cut outs on the ball joint line up with them when pressing in the new joint
    They are very difficult to remove next time they need replacing if not lined up

David H likes this.
  15. grumble

A batch of aftermarket joints were oversize joints and when fitted they were really stiff and steered accordingly, I fitted a set and when I questioned the supplier he told me they were incorrectly packaged and they supplied me with another set to replace them.

16. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The answer is VW459/1 and VW459/2 and a decent press. The VW400 Matra press as seen in factory manuals is only 15 Tons.... and they were new arms and ball joints in the pics.(not with half a century of rust between the eye and the ball joint casing)

Sometimes a 30T press( with a sheet of poly in front of it for potentially hand grenade-like shrapnel) will not budge them and they literally need to be smashed apart or inners popped through the back with a press, then ball joint shell relieved in the eye of the arm with a hacksaw and cutting carefully through it. That's sometimes where the hour per arm comes from. if everything goes smoothly and there's nothing wrong with the arm(clean, de-rusted, not bent or scored), then 15 minutes per arm is where it's at.

Don't heat your suspension parts.

Soaking the ball joints with eyes in a container (submerged) helps with pressing out is you have time to burn, they then dont crack loose with a big bang under lots of pressure.

If you pull the arms out and the inner bush areas are scrubbed, the leaves will need to be pulled, new inner bushes fitted and the arms repaired(metal sprayed and reground). The other surprise is broken spring leaves.

cbus and grumble like this.
  17. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-18_3-30-0.png

cbus likes this.
  18. grumble

That is an excellent explanation of a sometimes difficult job, I made my own tools (which I used to fit dozens of joints some of which were absolute buggers) to do the job a lot of years ago and gave them to the young man who took over my workshop when I retired.

19. Wiz

Wiz Active Member