1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charleville to Birdsville

Discussion in 'QLD' started by emby, Jul 11, 2010.

1. emby

emby Active Member

Does anyone know if this is a sealed road / suitable for a kombi?

Me and the boys at work have a road trip planned for the races and I was wondering if it's somewhere I can take the kombi.

Cheers

Matt

2. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have not been out that way but according to the maps I have I believe that you will be on dirt for part of the trip. As a real camper both my kombis have seen a deal of dirt so that should not be an issue. Some of my travels have been quite rough and the kombis have handled it very well.

Ian

3. emby

emby Active Member

Cheers Ian. How dod you handle the dust? Was there regular maintenance invoved to make sure the engine kept running cool?

4. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

hey mate ..mum and dad planned to go there...mechanic advised not to because of all the dust....so they are going to MT isa for the cup and staying a week... 5 day rodeo on..then on to townsville..leave next week i think:D

5. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

The road to Charleville is two-lane bitumen, then its one lane bitumen to just after Windorah then it's all dirt! Take it slow and pull over when young guys in Hiluxs fly past kicking up stones and you should be fine!

Dad and I drove Toowoomba to Adelaide via Birdsville in September 08 and didn't have any trouble in Norbert. Though when I pulled into the mechanics in Adelaide he did say it was one of the dirtiest air filters he'd ever seen!

We took two spare tyres and extra fuel and though we didn't get a flat tyre we met people had blown a couple of tyres. Rocks through the backwindscreen was also a problem for several drivers.

Was an awesome trip :) and if you decide to go, best of luck - guaranteed to have an great time!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My normal approach is when I travel out in the dust I carry spare filter elements. Keep an eye on it and you should be fine. I did kill a mountain bike I had on the rear with bull dust. It was cheaper to buy a new one than replace the parts that were damaged by the dust. The engine gets pretty dusty but a good clean when the trip is over has always worked for me. The inside of the van will ship a little dust but you will be surprised how little that it will be.

Ian