1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chev Corvair engine

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Joels73 Panel, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Hey everyone, Im thinking about buying a 2.6 lt Air cooled flat 6 Chev Corvair engine.
    Has anyone done it?
    Ive heard that a few people have and I was wondering if anyone can give me some information.
    Cheers Joel

2. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Have you got access to one?

3. eastcoast

eastcoast New Member

hey bro,not a bad motor i had one in a karmen ghia years ago problem i found was spares difficult to get, this car was limited production and very few came to oz

4. Camerz

Camerz New Member

Was talking to a mate of mine who does a bit of racing and he reckons you can put basically any engine in any car if youve got someone with the know how and you have the cash for it? ive seen a v8 in a kombi sure a flat six would work out fine?

5. Joels73 Panel

Yeah mate I know it can be done just wondering if they have plenty of go?

6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I have no info - but I look forward to the pix! I gather it is a relatively good conversion (opposable, no radiator or water, ) but not common here (as few Corvairs were sold in Australia) ... these engines are popular in os buggies so I look forward to hearing about the results! :)

7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I've heard of the conversion but never seen one. I remember many years ago reading an article that related to mods for running a corvair eng in a vw. I believe they rotate in the opposite direction so a special cam and an idler gear drive for the oil pump and maybe dissy. is required.
    The V6 commodore engine is popular although gearbox mods are required and a special starter modification.
    T1 Terry

8. Joels73 Panel

Yeah thats the only problem, The whole spinning the other way thing :)
    I was hoping I could just reverse the king pin on the gearbox.
    From what Ive heard the Corvair is pretty much a very smooth 2 ltr vw with a lot of torque.

9. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

10. Joels73 Panel

11. mr930

mr930 Active Member

I've got two that have been pulled apart, would need rebuilding. If interested they are cheap. Came with a VW kitcar that I bought a few years back.

12. Joels73 Panel

Where are you located?

13. kombibob

kombibob New Member

i had one a few years ago converted it to reverse rotation etc
    clarks corvar in the states are a good mob to use for part and advise.
    Cheers,
    Bob

14. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Was it a EUreka by any chance?

15. Das_Dubber

Das_Dubber Member

I bought Bob's corvair engine and its still waiting patiently for the right vehicle to go into (I have a vw in mind now). My old man drives a corvair convertible and gets parts easily from clarks in the US.

I'll be trying to squeeze a few more ponies out of Bob's old engine before it goes in so there will be some head and induction mods - should be fun!

Al

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ha Ha . Couldnt help yourself . Could you.:)
    col

17. mr930

mr930 Active Member

I had a Eureka with a Corvair motor about 5 years ago but the 2 motors I have came with a 356 Speedster kit.

18. Frank

Frank Active Member

As mentioned by many members on this thread the Covair engine is a fairly rare engine here in Australia.

If I were to make an engine choice I would either use a VW engine or an engine that is fairly popular choice of engine - which means that you would be able to get spares, and can get maintenance done on it as well.

My logic is that I use the Kombi to go on trips a fair bit and if it breaks down there is a newtork of Kombi engine mechanics dotted around the country - so within a day or maybe a bit longer the Kombi could be repaired and I would be on my way again.

If you plan to use your Kombi within a short distance from your home then this wouldn't be a problem for you.

(just my own point of view obviously)

Good luck with getting the right motor

19. peterbro

peterbro New Member

Check out this site, it being a corvair store in California and he has many engines for sale. The benefit of dealing with a store is that international freight and packaging is generally not a problem (which it can be with private sellers).

20. peterbro

peterbro New Member