1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Car Rego?

Discussion in 'SA' started by Juliette, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Juliette

Juliette New Member

Hi All

I've had my 75 camper Nelly for a couple of years now, but have just decided I should look into putting her onto a Historic Car Registration. I'm in South Australia and was hoping someone could recommend a paying Kombi or Volkswagon club that would do the trick for the purposes of registration? Preferably one that might actually be fun to go along to as well!

Thanks!

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am not sure about South Aust, but in Queensland, if you get caught driving a car on Historic or club rego, they will slap you with a fine, unless you can argue that it is for testing or show purposes. If you drive it a lot or intend to go camping, this may be difficult.

3. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

There 2 clubs in SA -
    Volkswagen Club of SA www.vwcsa.com.au
    and
    Volks enthusiasts club.

The facts in SA are that Historic rego let's you drive 90 days per year - you MUST fill out a log book (log book costs $5.00 for 4 years) before you drive it though each time or you are driving an unregistered vehicle.

To be eligible the vehicle must be substantially as it left the factory eg. cannot be on LPG, have mags, sports steering wheel etc

Vehicle needs to be inspected annually by a club officer. You need to remain a financial member of the club ($35 to $55 per year)

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

They are looking at introducing Log book system for club cars in Victoria also. Similar to what you describe. Bummer that you have to be a clubby to get log book rego!

5. sacky

sacky Member

Thats what it is all about Apal help all the car clubs grow so we can all enjoy what we drive and our historic plated cars will be around a lot longer

6. unclestong

unclestong New Member

So apart from the log book and club membership - what is the cost of registration (or is that it!)?

And does anyone know how old a vehicle needs to be to be deemed 'historic'?

7. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

I put my bonneville on club plates yesterday NSW I am allowed to ride within a 20k radius from home for maintenance / tune up purposes and at any club endorsed ride. This may not be my club it can be a club we have reciprocal rides with ( in our case we have about 20 other clubs we can ride with ) I have to carry a RTA card with me and if pulled over on a run the cop may check with the club officials the ride is "in the ride register" the cost is under $100 / annum including the ctp insurance which saves me $6oo a year
    cheers

8. rays76bay

rays76bay New Member

Hi Uncle

Just had rego paid last week on the 76 Kombi

$131.00 12Months
    $256.00 24Months
    $381.00 36Months

I quote on the rego form
    (MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR MISUSE $750).

Cheers
    Ray
    Grange
    Adelaide

9. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

30 years in SA

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Check your state registration authority web page. Should all be there and tell us what is says for your state! And do you have to be a member of an authourised club?

11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

So whats the deal here with the rego office?
    Thinking about a T3 say 1984 model, what happens with rego Vs the plate number seeing as vans made after July or whatever are classed as next years model?
    What is the argument there at the rego office??
    E.G Say it is September 2013 now, the plate date says 8/83 which makes the van a 1984 in VW books, can you tell me... do rego just look at it for what it is on the plate (1983) or do they go by VW specs technically?
    If so then technically some vans can get this rego after only 29 and a bit years! Bonus!

Also, with this type of rego do you find the cops pull you up more often to check the log book?

Only just heard about this type of rego recently..... Van has to survive another 7 years before getting it though!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

In SA - I think you will not no longer be able to get this under classic rego. Vehicle needs to be pre 1979 (not 25 or 30 years old) unless you got a pre 83 vehicle on before the change of rules..

Definitions of historic, prescribed left-hand drive and street rod vehicles

The Motor Vehicles Act 1959 provides the following definitions.

An historic vehicle:
    •is a vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1979 that has not been modified from its original design to any significant extent.

OR
    •is a vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1979 but before 1 January 1983 that has not been modified from its original design to any significant extent and has been registered under the conditional registration scheme at some time prior to 1 July 2012.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transp...oric, left-hand drive and street rod vehicles