1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Call

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by 77bay, Aug 18, 2006.

1. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Driving home from work yesterday, filled up as usual and cruised up the highway. Coming off the highway around the 270 degre turnoffs they have these days, and there's a smell of fuel. No biggie I think, just filled up, nothing more than usual. Going over the overpass and get a little missfire. That's interesting I think, but doesn't happen again.

Have a little trouble starting in the morning to take the kids to school, but finally get there. Let her warm up for 3-4 minutes then off we go, well kind of. Coughing and spluttering down the road, somethings not right here. Get the boss to take the kids to school while I go for the hoist at mates shop.

Open the engine back and start her again, here's a spark jumping onto the block and the coil is split. Just glad it's on the left side, that smell of fuel, the right hand carby is leaking like a seive. Reckon if I had to go any further I would've been trying that new extinguisher. :shock:

The culprit was a leaking washer, all of 50 cents. Think I might change them all while I'm at it.

2. JHB88

JHB88 Member

WOW... could have been a very close call.

I checked my coil last week and noticed the case had worn quite a way through but of course you had to unbolt the curved bracket to check it.

I bought a replacement GT40 and will fit it before going anyway!

I think this is a very important warning so you should post this in one of the technical sections as well.

3. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

77 bay , how did the coil split was it loose on the retaining bracket and it was rubbed thru the body or was it the top of the coil cracked where the main coil lead fits in would be interested to know your one lucky kombi driver take out a tats ticket ok

4. 1kombilover

1kombilover New Member

very lucky mate, glad to here that nothing serious come out of it, all the best, johnnie

5. 77bay

77bay Active Member

It had cracked where the main lead comes in Tom. Also found a crack in the top of the distributer cap also around the main lead. I'll be getting a ticket on Wednesday night that's for certian, and if I win I'm buying Daves old bus. I reckon it needs a holiday in Queensland. :D :wink:

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Close call Chris - best to do both carbs as you've indicated as you never know.
    See if I can beat you to Dave's old 57 - downloaded the photos from AVD andd seems there is a tear in the upholstery on middle seat drivers side top right hand corner - can only see it in the pic from the back door.