1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Judder

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Ian and Shelley, May 1, 2019.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hello..
    Problem no 2 of the week...

Clutch judder when pulling away in first and sometime ( But less judder) when changing from 1st to 2nd gear !!

I understand its possibly clutch wear and or oil from main bearing that causes this issue
    Can you advise when or if this judder becomes a major issue?

Does the judder normally increase in its JUDDER-ING over time or does this cause immediate unexpected clutch failure !:(

Should I keep using and monitor closley for signs of increased wear OR should i consider major work and replace ASAP

Thanks again

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Also a worn clutch or a run out on the clutch, fly wheel can also not be true in the face where it contacts the clutch.
    If it is infrequent juddering it is only a minor,once it becomes more frequent it might be time to think of replacing clutch ,pressure plate, throw out bearing and maybe even the flywheel might need refacing if the oil has glazed the flywheel.

Mr Beckstar, David H and tintop like this.
  3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, also make sure you've got the right bend in the clutch cable (as per your bentley workshop manual). Patrick

Mr Beckstar, cbus and Wayne murray like this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep.
    First check is as tintop suggested.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

The bend is correct,measured and all within tolerance,,, put some lube in the bend and there was some improvement but we still have some initial judder when pulling away in first !

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Ian & Shelley,
    Old Boy has a little shudder on the early take offs (first 3 or 4) until warm (5 mins). I can change this by revs/clutch bite;). Also has wrong curve on Bowden tube. Clutch about half wear. Keep with Wayne's post. Not a real trouble just now:).
    Cheers

BrianK and Mr Beckstar like this.