1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Kit - Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Thomas, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I am convoying down to Sydney on Monday to play shows with my band, and my clutch has just decided to die.

I've tracked down a clutch kit at a good price, but everywhere I have called is quoting $400 - $500 to install it (money I don't have).

I have no idea about anything to do with mechanics, and was wondering how hard it would be to fit myself...

I'm not sure whether or not I'm being a complete lunatic - its just I'm not sure what else to do.

Any help, advice or anything would be lovely!

Thanks guys.

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have access to a couple of good hydraulic jacks and jack stands and a couple of reasonably strong help and some decent spanners ,allenkeys, screwdrivers and tools and a torque wrench etc and preferably a haynes, gregory or best a bentley manual, and are reasonable and logical at pulling things apart and putting them back together there really is no reason why you can't do it yourself. I will involve taking the engine and gearbox out.(you can take just the engine but if you can handle the weight it is designed to come out as one. If you allow a day to pull it out and a day to put it back that will be heaps of time. Iit is fairly straight forward.

The tools jack stands and jacks etc if you havent got them or cant borrow them will probably cost you the 4-500 that you dont have though, so if you have access to someone who has these available that will be the way to go. They are pretty simple to work on as you dont have to remove exhaust and ancillary equipment for a motor out and that is where you can save the money. It does help to do a bit of research at the library if you dont have the manuals too. You will learn a lot about your car in the process and that is well worth it in the long run.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck.

Adrian

3. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

If you do decide to go it alone then do not buy the whole clutch kit until the motor is out and you are able to see the condition of things. More often than not the spring plate and throw-out bearing are ok and only the driven plate is worn out as it is the part that is designed to wear out. In a clutch kit you pay for all three. You can get the driven plate alone for a fair bit less. You won't know until it's out but it will save you a few bucks if you are on a very tight budget.

4. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I decided to bight the bullet and pay a mechanic to do the work.
    I am on too tight a schedule to fart around, when I'd probably fail anyway.
    Thanks for all the help though, guys.

5. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I reckon you've made the right decision there Thomas.
    Its best to leave that kind of work to the those in the know,it'll have some kind of warranty and you'll have peace of mind.

6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member