1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold engine tickover

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by DrowningBitByBit, Jun 13, 2020.

1. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

A minor niggle rather than a major issue, but it does make every drive start with a little too much excitement.

I live on a very steep hill. Engine starts fine, ticks over without any drama straight away. Reversing out into the road involves going up the hill backwards, so it's had plenty of revs. Then I tootle (or perhaps plummet) down the very steep hill (0.5 km or so).

And then when I get to the junction at the bottom, the engine stops. Whether it's in gear or in neutral, the van cuts out when I stop at the bottom of the hill. Letting the van warm up for longer makes no difference, going down the hill in neutral/1st/2nd makes no difference. Turn the key and it starts again without drama, into first and off we go.

My first thought is to increase the tickover a touch, but I'm not sure I want to increase the tickover for the sake of one junction at the end of the road. So any other thoughts?

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Guesses.

Maybe the carb floats sit up due to the angle and fuel is temporarily high.

Check vac leak to brake booster ,on the flat, by pressing hard on brake pedal while van is idling in neutral.

Do you drive down the hill or have it in neutral?
    Try in gear?

DrowningBitByBit and Barry like this.
  3. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

I'm good with guesses, I like guesses.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts that the fuel was sloshing about somewhere that wasn't the engine.

I've tried neutral, 1st (high revving) and 2nd and 3rd (low revving) down the hill - still cuts out as I come to a stop.
    It cuts out - with only a brief splutter - whether I'm in neutral or in gear with the clutch depressed.

I can just about keep things moving if I come down the hill, ride the clutch, and then don't stop, but not a practical option to rely on for this junction (or my clutch).

I've kept it going to a stop by running in neutral all the way down hill while revving as I get to the bottom (left foot braking - eek).

And when the engine is properly warm, no issue - comes to a halt as normal with engine running.

Okay, tried that, but not sure what am I looking for?
    Brake pedal felt fairly firm in driveway at idle (also noting that engine was still warm from trip around the block earlier).
    I did notice earlier (with the cold engine) that the brake felt quite firm then 'released' as I came to a stop, but that was while the engine was spluttering to a halt so may not be a good test.

4. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are running a bit lean - I'd look at either vacuum leak, choke setting or idling circuit adjustment. Patrick

1500king and DrowningBitByBit like this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If there is a vac leak in brake booster the engine revs , at idle, will reduce slightly when you depress brake pedal.

Just an option to eliminate.

On the fuel side I had it wrong way around but as tintop said.....
    If lean/ cold then as you stop downhill with fuel level low inside fuel bowl due to angle of carbs ...you have a temporary leaning/ lack of fuel at the stopping point?

1500king likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked that the chokes are operating ?
    Before you start it....accelerator to the floor for a couple of secs. .....should activate the chokes.....start and you should be holding an increased rev. at idle until the choke element heats up and backs the choke butterflies off.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred and Wayne murray like this.
  7. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

It'll be a booster leak.