1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of fixes for potential kombi purchase

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by DrowningBitByBit, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit New Member

Hi,
    I took a look at John's 1974 camper yesterday, and very nice it is too.
    https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/1974-kombi-camper-for-sale.58885/

I took the kombi club list of things to check, and most look good.
    John did let me know about a few things that would need fixing in the near future, and I wanted to get a rough guesstimate of likely costs...

• Front brakes - pads and probably discs
    • Ball joint boots - top and bottom
    • Shockies front and rear
    • Tappet cover gasket one side

I realise that it's impossible to give an accurate cost, but a general idea would be good.
    Cheers,
    matt :cool:

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Matt...all doable by the home mechanic, you could find the parts on any of the usual websites (eg. mickmotors, justkampers etc.) brake pads $50, 2x discs $300, 4x boots $50, 4x shockies $500, tappet cover gasket - small change. Patrick

DrowningBitByBit likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Multiply by 2x or 3x if you want a mechanic to do it for you

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Those things are all items that would be required done for a roadworthy if failed.
    If they pass they might not be to replacement stage yet and he is giving you a heads up what is getting near needing attn in future.

Tappet cover is dead cheap and cheap and easy.
    Worth having brakes and shocks in top condition.
    New boots will prevent premature ball joint wear.

5. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit New Member

Thanks everyone!
    That was more or less what I thought (or at least hoped) but better to wave my hand around now and declare my ignorance than at the side or the road :p

TeeBee, Grantus and Barry like this.
  6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Set of KYB gas adjust (just a name, not actually height adjustable) from VW Heritage are about $110 ish each and free shipping over $250. Best price by far and 5 day delivery. Ball joints are often stuffed when the boots are gone and not a home job, but the boots themselves are. $600 plus to have the the joints replaced as it is very labour intensive. Tappet cover $5 and do it yourself. Front brakes, no idea but if you arent confident get them done professionally. Price would be a few hundred depending on what it worn out.

Adrian

7. omelette81

omelette81 Member

I say between $1200 - $1500 for a mechanic to do it + parts which it would be cheaper for you to supply.