1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COVID-19

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TeeBee, Mar 24, 2020.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sure was Mark in 2010. $45k down the guarantee(with best panels etc) of the 60c/kw plus 6c until 2016 until they review this when they achieved 298mw. Was guaranteed until 2016 at that rate until system gained 298mw & was then reviewed by parliament in 2016.
    Parliamentary review caused the lower rate & market competition & cheaper panels has caused the rest.
    Old mate that did the recent install said first inverter SERIOUSLY better than the one he installed
    :).
    Now whom to get the best deal from for supply be the challenge!!
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So if you deduct the money the panels earned you in the time, from the initial purchase price, did you come out way ahead, about even, or way behind?

I only ask, coz I’ve had 3 solar salespeople assess our site, and 2 were honest in agreeing with my figures, and the 3rd just wanted a sale.......

I did put in a solar hot water system, that has equalled to zero hot water electricity bills for about 10.5 months a year, so as long it keeps working, will pay for itself in savings after about 4 years.

3. David H

Way behind:(.
    That be $25,k behind.
    Sure my 'be green' is my subsidy to someone!;).
    So I've 'doubled up' just to prove I'm a Greenie & stupid!!!!
    Cheers

4. Grantus

So way behind, because the rules changed, and the payments decreased, or the initial sums were incorrect?

In Germany, any investment in solar, was guaranteed payments for 20 years, without changes, and the initial cost was covered after 11 years.

The ACT model, took a lot of advice from the German one, and promoted and sold it as such, but deleted a few vital bits in the fine print, that actually made it a very different risky animal to be involved in.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  5. David H

Depending on provider it becomes the game of 'in put feeder' rates!
    NSW started with a 60c/kw plus 6c/kw feed in rate guaranteed for 6 yrs from 2010 until 2016.

That's changed lots!
    It's now 10c/kw
    The more we go to solar the less the feed in rate will become
    ;):(:(

6. Grantus

So unless you have enough panels AND battery storage to run the whole site day and night, without relying on any feed in rate, for the whole setup to pay for itself by reduced power bills in a reasonable time, it’s still possibly a negative investment.

Although, the more solar you achieve, the higher the non solar cost to consumers will be, to pay for the poles and wires.

Catch 22???o_O

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You did well getting 2/3 honest Grant.
    As with anything that gets govt grants the carpetbaggers quickly get on board.

Quality of installs quickly matches low prices.

Then there's the dodgy contracts on what you decide and extra charges.

I'm way out of date on this stuff but like any balance sheet, crunch the numbers.

Keep in mind that solar panel performance is something like 90% of what you will be getting new @ 20yrs.
    From there it will taper but I have no info to hand.
    Failure rate for quality panels should be low.
    Inverters have been a bit of an issue.
    Batteries continue to improve in significant leaps with a number of new technologies that should see fruit within a few years.

First and foremost is decreasing demand by good practices or design.
    I'm guessing your place is pretty efficient from that aspect.
    Do your own audit of useage and work out where reductions can be made by new equipment that has a reasonable pay back period .
    Then how long the solar would take to pay for itself .

My bet is that batteries will improve in function and improved environmental cost in near future.
    Like with a hybrid car, these may be useful for covering some loads.
    Especialy as power companies try to shift to different tariffs for different times of day.

Keep in mind that power prices will always increase while power companies are able to control a centralised system.

Cheapening stand alone systems present a threat to their monopolies so actualy protect those who depend on the poles and wires.

In Qld there was a scare campaign about needing more capacity invested in networks for domestic use a few years back.
    Couple years into it and the reduced demand exposed the lie and that the anticipated demand was industry based.

Till now, I haven't bothered with solar despite being qualified in the field.
    Being on pension now my line charges are effectively nuetralised by a subsidy.
    At 3-3.5 kWh / day payback would be slow.
    I have a couple things to do that will drop that figure by easily 1.5kWh
    At Mo it's handy to have mains power to run a big compressor and mig etc.

8. Grantus

Just trying to work out who’s responsible for this thread going “off topic”... :rolleyes:

I’m going to give the award to @chris taylor . :D

I do see, that the rules put into place, that some Less informed, have described as “draconian” in Victoria, to combat the poorly handled first wave, do seem to be working, despite the tiny minority of idiots protesting the situation, claiming it to be political, or a hoax.....

Let’s hope the daily new infections keep reducing, as long as they keep presenting for Covid testing. Even Trump knows, if no one turns up to be tested, the daily “new cases” would be zero. :confused:

I’ll post it again, to make my point! ;)

upload_2020-9-24_0-39-32.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    TeeBee likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    B####y Chris.
    But in his defence us old buggers do have trouble remembering last sentence
    Eh Chris. :D

To get back on track I'll quote trump in a statement about 27 Jan this year regarding covid
    " It will just disappear"

200,000 dead Americans and 6 months later................ ?

What's the bet that they're stupid enough to vote him back in to " make America great again" ?

Ninga, chris taylor and kombi69 like this.
  10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Finally we're back on topic :cool:

11. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Trumps statement at a political rally yesterday... " It affects virtually no one."
    WTF o_O

12. Grantus

Victorian registration plate slogans. Pre Covid:

upload_2020-9-24_9-48-20.jpeg

Post border closure announcement, but pre border actually closing:

upload_2020-9-24_9-49-50.jpeg

And since Covid kicked in........

upload_2020-9-24_9-51-16.png

TeeBee likes this.
  13. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

2021 slogan, run fir it if you get the chance :lol:
    I must apologise for my post connecting the YEN to China, it is f course the currency of Japan, the Chinese currency is the Renimibi or the Yuan, if they can't even settle on a name for it, how could it become a global currency?
    So maybe the YEN will become the global currency once everyone still living forgets about the Japanese atrocities during WW2 ......

As far as how to actually be in front when moving to solar energy, think it needs a new thread and someone on the admin team to transfer the off topic posts over there so we can continue that one without interrupting this one

T1 Terry

cbus likes this.
  14. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Most people I see are doing the right thing in Vic. I don't see anyone without a mask. It's the conspiracy theorists and the ones who go out protesting, that get the most coverage by the media. I think they are in the minority, but unfortunately it only takes a small number of these kind of people to start this thing off again. :(

KahunaKombi and Grantus like this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bit like Qld, " the smart state " ??

Like all advertising . It's to counter the facts.

Woolworths " the fresh food people" ??

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good reason to not tolerate nutters.

Expose their stupidity .

Ninga likes this.
  17. T1 Terry

A further explanation of Donald speak is required to understand what he actually said.
    Donald only cares about those that make money for Donald
    agree 110% with anything Donald says
    those that make Donald's election campaign great again.
    You are a no one if you aren't in all of these categories, therefore it effects virtually no one(s).

Now add the benefits, reducing the parasitic population that is eating up any govt money and those not actually generating money both via the tax $$ and making money for the important people, those that meet the 3 requirements mentioned above.

The statement that it would have been a lot worse if he hadn't shut down the country ....... Not sure when Donald actually shut down the country? A lot of the state governors shut down their states and Donald got all in their face for doing it because it was against the whole benefits part and wearing masks slowed the population cleansing intuitive and reduced the demand for the ventilators he organised to be supplied through the first group mentioned via a bidding war between the states. This was for the good of all (that fitted into the category of people of importance to Donald) so anything that reduced this the pressure on the pricing was not a good thing.

The fact 200,000 had died due to his handling of the whole mess needs to be weighed up against the number that might have died if Donald had been the first to catch it and require a ventilator for 12 mths ..... I'm reasonably confident no one could have made a worse job of it so .......

T1 Terry

wombatventures and TeeBee like this.
  18. T1 Terry

Perhaps a stint on the front line treatment of active cases might change their minds about it all being a conspiracy and the need to wear protective equipment including masks. Worse case is they would hold to their convictions and become one of those that the other "nutters" had to look after. The better outcome would be a flush of the gene pool by reducing the number of these morons that can create an even better breed of moron for the next generation to have to deal with .... A bit cynical, but then causing the havoc these morons are likely to cause for the sensible population tends to push the thinking into easy solutions, these people are beyond rational reasoning .....

T1 Terry

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree.
    A good education system with science and manual arts might help the upcoming generations but a bit of natural selection would be good for the adults.

The level of their stupidity does enter the area where it would be reasonable to demand that they back their beliefs by firm action.
    Refusal to accept medical intervention if they catch covid being top of list.

wombatventures and TeeBee like this.
  20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Gee ,Ta grantus ,havnt had that award before , but whata yu mean mate .my comments are justified as the reason i dont get me pension increase is becos of low inflation rate brought on by the covid19 virus ,and he, The P M needs the money to give to those people who are out of work .see i know what im talking about. I THINK :rolleyes::confused::eek: haha

wombatventures, TeeBee and Grantus like this.