1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPR - saved my Grandson

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Sep 10, 2015.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I have just spent the worst week of my life. On Saturday evening the nightmare began when my daughter rang to say our little Grandson had fallen into a dam and was being airlifted to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital Brisbane. He was put on life support and we were all told to expect the worst. IF he could be resuscitated it would be a matter of what extent of brain damage he would have.

This is Alex on Sunday when we visited.
    [​IMG]

Monday whilst the medical staff were changing his meds as some were not working he woke and said NO! The nurse on duty ran to tell my daughter and Son-in- law a miracle had happened.
    By Tuesday he was off all meds, breathing by himself and even taking a few steps.
    [​IMG]

Today Alex was discharged and is on his way home.

Yesterday while I was at the hospital two of the resuscitation staff came to see Alex. One had tears in his eyes and the second told us his father had passed just four days before Alex was bought in and he 'asked' his father to look after Alex. They said they held no hope for him and it is so few in Alex's condition that come back and to be without brain damage was almost unheard of.

The discharge doctor was the same doctor who admitted him and she too was crying today.

We are so blessed to have Alex today and it was accredited to the quick actions of a young family friend who knew the correct method and how to administer CPR.

I ask every one to take the time to learn CPR. I know Andy and I need to brush up on ours. You never know when it will be needed. I have my Grandsons life because this young man Josh.

http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/how-to-perform-cpr

Ninga, Syncro27, 85 Caravelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What was looking like an absolute tragedy, had a better than great outcome.

Very happy and so glad for you Lorraine, and family. ;)

Ninga and ruby6689 like this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Lost for words Lorraine.....................
    Simply, unbelieveable.
    Sincerely,
    Mark

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

So happy for you and your family, give him a big kombi club hug for us

ruby6689 likes this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

What a lucky little boy, he said no because it wasnt his time. Hold him tight :)

KombiMadness and ruby6689 like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

VERY pleased it turned out ok Lorraine.
    One lucky kid and parents/grandparents.
    You guys will be counting your blessings for s long time:D:D:D

reactions of medical staff doesn't surprise me either .
    they care about what they do.
    And I'm sure it gives their emotions a big recharge to have a success when things seen bleak

7. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

Thinking of you and family, and oh so glad it turned out the best possible way.
    Hugs for you all.
    Ian and Teresa

ruby6689 likes this.
  8. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Wow Lorraine !
    You have brought both Shaz & I to tears with your story having a little one ourselves & about to get a swimming pool built at the end of the month we have now booked for not only our CPR skills to be upgraded but will have also organised to have all of our family to also do the CPR course !
    I'm not a religious man but Bless you & your family !
    Best wishes to little Alex !! X

9. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Very heart warming to hear this story.....
    He is one very lucky little chappy :)

ruby6689 likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just showed this one to Carole.......

She also sends a big hug to you Lorraine, and all involved. ;)

ruby6689 likes this.
  11. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Ohh Lorraine,
    Just when I am finally convinced I have no emotions left....like Stu and Shaz....feeling shocked and teary. Amplified by the fact that he is drop dead ( there is an apt pun but unlike my usual efforts, unfunny and on point )... gorgeous! All of the above wishes...and concur with Luckyphil....it is not his time and regardless of faith...there is a greater design and plan for him. I am sure he will be reminded of that in years to come.
    As for you my very much loved friend...a Bex and a lie down!!!!! P.T.S.D. is insidious.......Very, very best wishes for you all.
    John.

ruby6689 likes this.
  12. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

What a horrible situation to face Lorraine and I'm so glad it had a happy ending. Thinking of you and especially your daughter'so family, just amazing that the little tackler has already been released and is home. Plenty of cuddles for him I'm sure xx

ruby6689 likes this.
  13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Glad it turned out okay. That is my worst fear.

ruby6689 likes this.
  14. 77bay

77bay Active Member

I'm not a religious person Lorraine, but there was definitely someone looking out for your little man. Good to hear a happy ending for a change

ruby6689 likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Miracles do happen.

ruby6689 likes this.
  16. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words. There is another hero involved, Leala, the Staffy. Alex and Leala are inseparable and it was Leala that alerted David and took him straight to Alex.

That dog is going to be living on steak for the rest of her life.:)

17. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I couldn't begin to imagine the grief you all went through. Such an amazing outcome for the little fella to pull through it all.
    You are all blessed. Bet you've got a totally new outlook on life. Treasure it and the ones you love.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    ruby6689 likes this.
  18. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

afternoon all. this is the nicest story I have read. It takes away the sadness & wondering about little boy lost William. I also believe it was not his time & he fought his way back to your family. I hope he leads a rich & happy life. He has earned the right to it. To you & family all the best for ever. I'm a bit teary reading this so going before I drip on the key pad.
    ernie

melissa and ruby6689 like this.
  19. robmich

robmich Active Member

great that there was a happy ending, also highlghts the need to teach kids to swim from a young age,even in the country areas

melissa and ruby6689 like this.
  20. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Im sorry Lorraine I didnt even see this! Im so glad the little fella pulled through! That would have been so scary and sad for everyone involved. I cant express the importance of CPR training...

ruby6689 likes this.