1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CQ to Orange return trip advice please

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Mad Bird, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

I finally have the chance to do a mini road trip with Patience and would love some info about routes. I have to go to Orange via Brisbane so was planning to go down the New England highway and return up the Newell highway. I haven't driven these routes for a few years and am mainly wondering if there are any very long climbs as we don't do hills so well (thought did get up to Maleny ...just). Wondering if anyone has done these stretches. Any advice gratefully received.
    Now off to check my tool kit after reading Road Trip must haves thread.
    Thanks in advance

2. davidr

davidr Member

Hi Kathy,

I took my 67 panel to Muswellbrook last year via the New England. It only has a standard 1600 motor and did it easy. There certainly are some hills but nothing like Maleny.

Do yourself a favour and plan to have a night or 2 stop over at the caravan park in a place called Walcha. It's between Armidale and Tamworth. It is a perfect place to stop, put your feet up and take a break. We enjoyed it so much we went back there for Christmas and stayed for 2 weeks.

Any questions give me a shout.

Dave.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

cunninghams gap is the steepest climb if going thru bris.

you will notice a lessening of power when on the tops.

new england has a bit of climing but not much unless coming back up from the hunter valley which is significant.

newell is mostly flat but a bit of deceptive climb in some spots.

steady does it and you will be ok.
    dont sweat about cars behind you. saving engine is more important
    main climbs are 2 lane so 2nd gear if ness and mid revs

4. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

Thanks, that was what I wanted to know. I don't mind the cars following but hate the trucks 1/2 meter from your rear.

5. kombivan

kombivan New Member

the old Grafton to Armidale road through Ebor is one road you should drive along if it on your way even worth going out of your way for.

6. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

Thanks for the tip. May have to make a route alteration.

So much to see and never enough time. Maybe should not go back to work and just keep driving :cool:.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hills ?????

8. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

CQ to orange return trip advice please = sorry read to much into this one - CQCQ to mars return trip advice please - back on earth now:umm:

9. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Drive down them, Col.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

yeah. QLD to Orange is ok but going north is uphill again :p

11. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

:umm:Now you are all just confusing me ;)

12. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Hey Kathy,

If you are driving Brisbane to Orange there is no way to avoid climbing up that big hill. It's not called "the great dividing range" for nothing. However, don't sweat it and be happy enough to go slowly. If in doubt change down a gear and keep the revs a bit high (though not too high). Medium revs in second is better than straining at low revs in third. This has the effect of keeping the fan going faster and pushing more air through the oil cooler, thus keeping the engine cool. I climbed the range four times on my way to the bus stop in a 1600 and did it easy, albeit slowly.

Cunningham's Gap - Col is right, this is the steepest, but is four lane so you can just sit in the left lane with the trucks and do it slowly.
    Toowoomba range - lots of traffic, but again four lane. Just stay left and all will be good.
    Grafton to Armidale through Ebor - my favourite. The longest climb but less steep than the others. Very little traffic and very few trucks (if any). I drove the kombi up here in late april with no problems. Two waterfalls to visit. The highway is pretty good now south of the gold coast to Grafton.
    Port Macquarie to Walcha - this road was designed by boy scouts - they figured that one good turn deserves another. Twisty for a long long time. Won't need an arm workout in the gym after this one. Very scenic though.

Lots of traffic on the Newell. Most of it trucks. If you don't like trucks you won't like this road. Good condition and wide though.
    If you are happy to get off the beaten track a bit, my preferred route is via the fossickers way (half way between Newell and New England). From Orange you go via Dunedoo, Coolah, Mullaley, Gunnedah, Manilla, Then hwy 95 due north to Yetman, then Texas to Inglewood. It's my preferred path nowdays. This will take you back down through Cunninghams gap. Light traffic and only a few trucks.

Lots to see whichever path you take. The best thing to have with you is time up your sleeve. Enjoy !

13. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

Thanks for the advice Brian, will try the fossickers way. If you can't go fast you may well go scenic. Will need to do around 500ks a day all things going well. Just need to get out of work mode and into cruising mode :)

14. Mad Bird

Mad Bird Member

We're back:) We summited Cunningham's Gap with the temp gauge just off the red but soon cooled down. Went to Orange via the New England Hway but far preferred the return journey as recommended up Black Stump Way and Fossickers Way and home via Dalby, Munduberra and Monto. Loved cruising the quiet country roads with wonderful views and especially driving through the cattle around Gunnedah. Did most of the driving early in the morning and then crawled along in the afternoons with regular stops. The only thing that broke was a window winder handle!

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Glad you made it ok :)

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Happy travels there guys! :)

However, I MUST point out, that had you not embarked on the journry, and taken the safer route, ie, spent your days feeding ducks in the local park, I reckon you wouldn't now have a broken window winder!

Take note John Doherty! :lol: