1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked Head Near Exhaust

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Aspudis, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

Hi all,
    Can someone look at this picture and tell me if it’s a major problem. I had a bad exhaust leak and noticed that the culprit was a missing stud and shot copper exhaust gasket at the head.

In repairing all this I’ve noticed what appears to be a small hairline crack in the exhaust port. Is this a major problem that need to be fixed right now or will putting the new exhaust gasket in and stud get me by for a while?

Thanks, Nathan

F8C8DB59-1AAB-4991-A65D-CBB3D0F3E680.jpeg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I think it will depend if it has gone through to the chamber and valve seat

If it has gone through then the seat will be loosened and will fall out.

Aspudis likes this.
  3. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

Thanks. Can I test or check this easily? Compression test maybe?

4. tintop

tintop Active Member

Hi Nathan,

The crack will open up more when it's hot so a compression test on the engine as is (cold) probably won't give a definitive result.

As per the previous response it depends how far the crack goes...maybe an inspection camera, mirror or similar with a bright light...or a fingernail or hooked wire to feel how far it goes down the other side.

Rotate the engine so that valve opens. If the seat has been bouncing already you will probably see it not seated in head properly.

Patrick

5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

that crack would have come from the seat area and moved through to the port

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

My money worth is that a cracked head equals a stuffed head:eek:o_O.If it's broken not worth fixing. I would replace both heads while you got the motor out. my opinion is that you inviting cyclone Disaster to strike at any time. :eek: What further damage can you cause,as mention:rolleyes: the crack will get larger open up when heat is added possible causing the value seat to came out. Value get stuck on seat, piston hits value:eek:.All over red rover.:eek::eek:. Sorry for being a bit blunt but it had to be said.

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

It's stuffed:( as rstucke intimated. The heat that does damage comes from the inside. "small hairline crack in the exhaust port ". Never ever seen a crack on the inlet port of a VW head;) (cool side). If you see this on the outside the other side (heat) of crack is bigger. Look at the way the crack spreads from the inside. Sorry:(. Head repair/replace needed.
    Not Cheers

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Beat me by 2 seconds Wayne;) but I totally agree with your post:).
    Cheers

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I don't see the point in stuffing around with it:eek: get it over and done with o_Oand replace it :D.

David H likes this.