1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crescent Head 2012/2023

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Syncro27, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Crescent Head 2012/2013

Hi fellow kombi nutters,

We had another awesome time up @ Crescent Head this year with a short extra trip up to Hat Head via the back roads from Crescent Head to meet with a syncro mate Ben to explore a few tracks around Hat Head.

THe weather was great - except of a couple of windy days but the surf was small until the last couple of days.

Fantastic trip though with no issues - except I always need to buy more tent poles and guy ropes - happens every time - they just seem to vanish somewhere.

Here is the syncro all packed up ready for the big trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arrived @ Crescent - It was hot - Sienna sitting in the shade of the next door caravan:
    [​IMG]

Unpacking @ Crescent:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Syncro27

The kids wasted no time in using their Chirstmas presents.

Allanah had her new skateboard:
    [​IMG]

Sienna had her new powerwing:
    [​IMG]

Totem Tennis was a hit:
    [​IMG]

And the new I-pad was also well used:
    [​IMG]

3. Syncro27

Our setup was a bit roomier than previous years with the new tent from JK:
    [​IMG]

The Creek was really clean on both the incoming and outgoing tides:
    [​IMG]

IMG]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/Syncro27/IMG_2147.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Syncro27

Here is the inside of the Tent from Outwell:

[​IMG]

Small Surf Early in the week:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was about all the surfing that could be done in those first few days:
    [​IMG]

5. Syncro27

Then off to Hat Head for some Syncro fun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Syncro27

Ben knows this excellent soft sand trail that actually leads almost all the way to Crescent Head. However there isa house half way down that is probably about to haul in his harvest and he put a barbed wire gate across it. Worried about getting shot at we only did the half of it we could - but it was fun - lots of long soft sand patches with some up steep hills - I had the rear locker engaged just in case but it wasnt needed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We checked out a few other spots as well.

Note Ben has a Trakka Syncro Multivan (very rare)
    [​IMG]

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice trip Scott. Shame about the lack of swell - have done that run up to HH in a mates Suzuki 4x. We're heading up in March.
    Cheers, Mark

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

You're having way too much fun Scott! Looks like stacks of fun!

9. nickc

nickc Member

Nice one Scott, we were there the week before you, our packing looks similar IMG_5774.jpg got some nice uncrowded waves near racecourse.

10. Syncro27

Nick,

We had great weather but the camping area has had bugger all rain for ages as the grass is soooo dry - our plot was almost 60% sand!

Our packing does look similar except we have to squeeze 2 kids in there too. On the way up we stop @ Port Mac where we off-load all the Christmas prezzies to the Outlaws and nieces plus one nephew. There is no room for error when we pack. That view at the camping area has had the camp chairs removed (4 of them) and the bikes taken off the back - otherwise its as we got there. That roof bag is a life saver - it fits perfect and takes all the sleeping bags and two pillows - on the way home the dirty washing went in there too.

We saw a dormobile bay while we were there but they were moved on by the rangers and were also off to racecourse for the night - he also had a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls - I dont know how he fit everything including boards into the van - amazing!

I think kombis are like chimneys for Santa - they expand just when you need them to.

11. nickc

nickc Member

Jeeez we thought we were overloaded and it's just 2 of us. Sure slows up the pace of a kombi heh. Full marks to take a family. I've been looking at some of these smaller type trailers to get all the crap out of the inside for an easy overnight stop.

12. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

WOW - Racecourse Beach - thats a blast from the past. Came up from Port Mac on a long dirt road and found faboulous surf on my surf trip in '77. Returned in 1983 - here is our campsite in the dunes.

i'm just trying to identiy where it was - how far south of Cresent Head?

Attached Files:

13. nickc

nickc Member

Racecourse about 8 bumpy klm from cresent.

14. Syncro27

We pack carefully and the van is very heavy as the fridge is also full when we leave.

I have 1 surfboard, my eldest daughter has her thick foamy surfboard plus her nipper board and the youngest has her door mat (esky lid) (bogey board) (whatever).

The 6 cylinder scooby motor definately helps as we still fly up the hills but I have to keep around 90-100 to avoid double demerit speeding fines and big fuel bills.

I still cant get over the bloke with the Dormobile bay that had a ful size family of 4 in his van. Shame he couldnt hang around for more kombi chatting before the rangers pounced again.