1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily driver

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by machine111, Jun 7, 2016.

1. machine111

machine111 New Member

Good morning kombi world. I am currently restoring a 71 bay and was hoping to use her as a daily driver once complete. I have started to get a little worried with so many threads mentioning breakdowns and tows. Is it achievable to use an old kombi as a daily driver without faults. Anyone here do just this? Do you have any tips for continued serviceability? Cheers Simon

2. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I did it for 15 years, no worries, slightly slower, way more smiles.

Didn't realise what I was missing till we added a new car to the stable - never again!

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes Simon, it can be done but you need to be realistic - it's an old vehicle to start with so just make sure you keep the servicing up to it and to not expect it to be like a brand new car. Is your engine tired or are you starting off with something that is fully rebuilt?

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

I have used my SC as a daily driver for the last three of years - no problems HOWEVER, I drive him with respect to his age, change the oil (and filter) every 5,000km (and check the level regularly) and have it serviced (tappets etc) by a VW mech every 12 months PLUS if I hear something - noise or vibration - that doesn`t seem "right" I`ll check it out rather than hope it will go away.

My only problems have been fuel related - as in running out! - I have played round with the fuel guage and sender unit so that its now accurate (ish) and when its on empty - it is - I still get caught though.

Further note - I should add that in the not too distant past he has had a 2.0L motor added which means the motor isn`t working as hard keeping up with traffic - If it was a 1600 I`d be concerned

ruby6689 likes this.
  5. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

I have never had an issue with my bus. I drive a 70km round trip daily just to get to and from work. So it gets a workout. As others have stated, service it every 5000km without fail and have a look over everything monthly.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sort everything and it will be as reliable as any other vehicle.
    They only break down continualydue to years of neglect not being fixed properly.
    Repair all previous dodgy ' fixes'.
    New fuel lines and associated parts first job

7. machine111

machine111 New Member

Cheers guys. Puts my mind at ease. Melissa answering your question I will either be getting a new engine or rebuilt 1600 as kombi doesn't currently have an engine.

8. shaven

shaven Active Member

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

I have been using my 1974 Kombi as a daily driver for most of this year. Apart from a couple of issues, it has been fine, and I will admit that the issues were of my own making!!
    Steve

10. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

My wife only has a short drive (5.4km) and is considering using our bus as a daily driver. My only concern is the oil temp won't get above 80c in the trip either way so will be ensuring it gets a good run on the weekend at least. Will be paying some attention to the auto choke beforehand and encouraging her to park on a hill and learn how to roll start.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sound a good enough reason for a run every w.e . ;)

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

OR take the long way home??

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I've never owned a modern day car always a kombi .Been doing it for 21 years know. Like every one above has said maintenance is the key .Yes thinks still can go wrong ,but hopefully by keeping an ear out for thinks and general maintenance you will have more trouble free driving. An enjoy it.

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Although not a Bay, my T3 Kombi has been going strong as a daily for the past 28 years, since I bought it new.

As pointed out in previous posts, the key is regular preventative maintenance....;)

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

IT will only serve you as well as you service it - don't skip on cheap parts.
    Doubt anyone will admit to a no fault kombi - may put to bad karma out and sure as it'll develop a fault :p