1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Cycle Battery

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Jason Smith, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Hi all. Looking at getting a deep cycle battery for running fridge etc. currently have a standard car battery for the electric side of things. Problem I am having is that deep cycle batteries are a little to big to fit with the spare wheel frame etc in engine bay. Any recommendations would be great.

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

show us a picture of where you want to put it.
    I've got a 100ah gsm deep cycle under the r&r bed on the passenger side

3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Will do when I get home. Putting it in the left of engine bay. Kind of under the arch of the spare wheel sits. Hope that makes sense.

4. Nozza

Nozza Active Member

AGM battery on the left, standard on the right.
    DSCN0430_001.JPG

DSCN0431_001.JPG

5. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks. I am looking at the 105ah batteries but seem to be to high to fit that’s all. I will go to the battery guy and see what I can work out. Thanks

6. PICT

PICT Member

do you really need 105ah??

What are you actually going to be running from it?

I've got a 70-75ah and it works just fine for me, I run a fridge from it when away.

7. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Just a fridge 50l waeco and charging phones from cigarette lighter. How long does your battery run the fridge for? I do have a solar blanket also.

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I get 3 days from an old bus battery for my 50L Evakool

I drive there off the car battery / alternator and plug into the old bus battery once I get to where I am going

Easily lasts a long weekend.

If I go longer then there is driving involved and I'm plugged into the car

PICT likes this.
  9. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

I've got the same battery as Nozza in our 'Penny' except its 120ah. It is 'just' too big to fit under the spare wheel well on the left of the engine bay, but a few decent taps with a hammer on the wheel well made enough room. The negative terminal is on that end anyway so doesn't matter that it's close to the metal. It fits, it works, and the small dent in the wheel well is not a problem because its under the bed anyway. We have stacks of power to run all our lights and gadgets. I'll take a few pictures and post them tomorrow.

David H likes this.
  10. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me what you run off the 120ah battery and how long it lasts before it cuts out the fridge etc?

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Seems they're all 'just' small enough to fit. Don't run fridge but can run every thing else forever. Old Electrolux fridge so not as efficient as the Waecos.
    P1110250.jpg2.jpg
    Not sure of capacity:(.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  12. PICT

PICT Member

I'm guessing you are about ~20-25 amps per day, which sounds like my set up, I use a Bushman fridge with has a low amp draw, I also have the radio hooked up to the deep cycle and charge portable UHF radios/cameras etc as well as the phones, I also have a fold out solar panel if i'm staying for a long time, ie. more than a day, otherwise its just charged from driving.

13. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

Hi mate. Sorry for the late reply. Haven’t been on the forum since that post.
    Running off the battery we have:
    - 2.5m LED strip inside
    - 2.5m LED strip light outside (awning light)
    - 2 x phone chargers
    - 2 x Apple Watch chargers
    - 2 x LED lights near bed and kitchen
    - water pump for sink
    - Charger for drone batteries etc
    - Chargers for speakers etc
    - 300w 240v inverter
    Not a lot really but all these things are used daily/nightly and we NEVER run out of power. The fridge runs off gas which would help a lot too I guess. We don’t have solar and just charge the battery as we drive along. Longest we’ve been parked without moving would be 4-5 days and we didn’t drop below 12.2v by memory. Hope that helps. Happy to take photos of anything you want me to.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    David H likes this.
  14. Nozza

Nozza Active Member

On my T5, I have the solar panel on the roof, that will apparently run the fridge (Engel biggest top loading one, 1998 vintage) for ever without impacting the battery.
    But prior to solar, the fridge and other surveying equipment battery chargers killed the auxiliary battery every 3 months or so.
    The AGM batteries are meant to withstand being run dead flat better, but the solar top up seems good, and I haven't replaced a battery in the time since I've had the solar.
    Not sure of the AH rating of the battery on the T5, but we hid it under the van in the space available, so would be surprised if it is larger than the 75 in the T2.
    I've been parked for a week with everything, including 1000 watt inverter running, and started without a problem.
    I think I explained this in my Member's Rides thread on The Kombi, but may be confused.
    I am easily confused these days.
    But I'm putting solar on Sam the T2 - you can see the controller top right on the battery photo.
    Much better than just relying on battery power