1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delux, microbus of bay?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by louis, Oct 30, 2008.

1. louis

louis New Member

Hi all:

After reading some of the post and wiki, im still a little confuse about the different between the delux version and non-delux version of the Bay. I really appreciate if someone can tell me the different or post some pics.

Btw is there any micro bus version of the bay too?

Most of the info i can find are split but not bay
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2

Thanks

Louis

2. MattB

MattB New Member

Ok this is my understanding. The delux and non-delux versions you are talking about are both different versions of the microbus. So that answers that question.

As for the differences between delux and non-delux? They are things like extra trim (aka a waistband), heater trunking on cabin doors, different bumpers and stuff like that. It's hard to be 100% because different years had different things. For example, in '76 in Australia there was neither model, just a Kombi with seats that you had the option of choosing extras for (at least I think that's how it worked :p).

I might be completely wrong, but that's my understating of it at least. Hope that helps a little.

3. louis

louis New Member

Thx MattB

I think you are right, i found this:
    http://reviews.ebay.com/VW-Karmann-Ghia-Microbus-Deluxe-Panelvan-s_W0QQugidZ10000000007571511

1969 Microbus Deluxe
    In August 1967, after the production of 1.8 million Split-screen Transporters, a completely new model was launched. Now popularly referred to as the Bay-Window Transporter after its large, one-piece windscreen, these second generation buses followed the same design philosophy as the originals and although some felt were endowed with less character than the "Splittie", they sold in vast numbers, taking the total number of Type 2s produced to an incredible 4.8 million when production ceased in 1979. The new range included a Panelvan, Microbus, Kombi, Pick-ups and Microbus Deluxe.

Which means Deluxe is for Microbus Only!? Then what is the different between Mircobus and kombi for bays? more seats?

4. MattB

MattB New Member

Yes, the deluxe is for microbus only. I'm not too sure about specific differences between the microbus and the kombi.

I know that the microbus was designed as a people mover, whereas the kombi was a mix between a people mover and a work van, and therefore had removable seats so stuff could be put in the back - but I'm not sure if these are the same seats as the microbus.

One example I do know is that the microbus often had the metal backing behind the seats covered, while the kombi didn't. Also, from what I've read I think that the interior was generally less 'extravagent' for the kombi as it was meant for a working vehicle and a lot of interior furnishings would have detracted from its usability. I'll have a search in some brochures I have and get back to you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. MattB

MattB New Member

From the 1976 sales brochure:

Microbus
    All Volkswagens carry a lot of things. Our Microbus carries a lot of people in superb comfort. And, with eight seated, it still has room for luggage or whatever.

and

Kombi
    The Kombi Van is four vehicles in one. A goods van, passenger van, a combination of both and a camping unit.
    It can seat up to eight people in comfort (in optional 5 or 8 seater style); carry people and parcels; take a one-ton load and with the appropriate installation kit, it becomes your home away from home.

I guess that kind of describes the difference how VW saw it :p

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Don't get the German/US models confused with the Australian made versions.

7. MattB

MattB New Member

Ok, since I don't know what you're talking about, I assume I've done exactly that :p What are the differences between the German/US models and the Aussie ones?

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Aussie ones are converted Kombis (pre '77) and German ones were bus specific bodies.

9. MattB

MattB New Member

Ah ok, that makes sense :) Thanks.

10. louis

louis New Member

Anyone have pic that show the different between bus and kombi? :)

11. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

My late bay (1979) Microbus (non Delux) has no seat backs, whereas the Kombi does (I believe...)
    [​IMG]

You can also see the original rubber matting in the rear, and the wall cards with ashtray. I don't think the Kombi had these.

The Delux had arm rests on the wall cards. Also, the Delux had an opening quarter vent in all the side glass, front, middle and rear (sliders were an optional extra). And the extra trim on the outside.

I don't think the Kombi had the full headlining. The headlining in the microbus came all the way down to the wall cards, as you can see in my picture.

MAP77 likes this.
  12. louis

louis New Member

THanks OberonViking!!!
    Nic pic!
    SO the different between those are mainly inside the interior, and the variant on the outside between kombi, micro bus and delux micro bus are the extra trim?

13. OberonViking

and the arm rests and opening quarter windows, and come to think of it, the so called 'ambulance fans' - booster fans for fresh air inside, mounted under the dash.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They were also on a Kombi.

There was no "Deluxe" microbus in Australia. Only the one version.

15. OberonViking

even after they became fully imported?

16. kombi rescue

kombi rescue New Member

There were several versions of microbuses available in the australian market,1968's were generally full imports and the easiest way to tell by is the glass stamping....and in 68 we were not building microbuses until late that year so all were full imports...hence garnishings were higher spec.In 69 clayton began to produce the aussie built micro in 8 and 9 seater configuration ..in both 69 up to 70 we had two trim levels and seat numbers including Aus armed forces microbuses. 71 saw a higher spec with deluxe trim b/bars and deluxe air vent trim [front]....72 saw this carried over again with different seat numbers.73 saw the intro of the type 4 and auto and also the base 1600 version.VW tried to market each at different price levels therefore the trim was slightly different between the two...this is at the point in dealership land that the bigger engined micro was called the deluxe...this carried on up to the end of 1975 when the basic 1600 micro was faded out and in 1976 2.0 was the only available choice. When clayton ceased production all micrp were fully imported only with a 2.0 option but were highly speced up to 78 as the exchange rate was favourable...79 on saw a lower spec buses ....this missed out on opening 1/4's and chrome bars and deluxe chrome body mouldings and chrome trim garnish and clock...clocks came in std 1977.late 78's and 79's had sliding windows and no rear jail bars painted bumperbars....all done for a pricing structure.The last T2's were sold up to the end of 1980 but were all 79 models ...we saw nothing again until 1982 when the t3 was released........during this time the australian army bought 8/9 seater buses up to the end of 78.....these were also a lower trim spec much the same as 79's.hope this explains the different buses and why....cheers steve

kombiing and MAP77 like this.
  17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

There was only one version as far as I know, and it was just called "Microbus".

The T3 came out with a "CL" & "GL" Caravelle.

18. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Steve,

That is by far the most comprehensive roundup of the Australian buses I have seen. I would recommend that some one should post that info in a sticky or something, as that is the info that some people look for years for.

Did you used to work at the factory, where you a dealer or just someone with the know?

Adrian

19. flipflop

flipflop Member

I have the service record for my 70 deluxe, the service record has the normal microbus model of 224, but the dealer type/model number puts a D at the end. Mine has chrome winder handles, the door grab handles have chrome end, chrome escutcheons, door airchannels, external deluxe trim around the waistline, bumpers and front air vent, also has jailbars.
    I would say from looking at it, it's a deluxe, the dealer service record says it a deluxe, but it's carries the a microbus model type with a deluxe add on. Like the split deluxe's, some didn't have the engine vent trim, but every other deluxe option was included.

20. 2tone

2tone Member

always a fountain of knowledge is our kombi steve.

tony