1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately need help with fuel problem

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Joels73 Panel, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Alright guys, I have a slight problem with my panel. If I go around a corner to quick, the cabin fills with the smell of fuel. If I fill the tank right up then driving around will cause the fuel to run from the top of the filler neck, down through the engine bay (Between the battery and spark plugs) and down off the mudguard which obviously really isn't ideal ....... It's been figured that this is caused by a shitty gasket in the filler neck.. I'm driving the panel to a music festival on the 29th and have tomorrow to sort out the fuel problem and make up a gasket if necessary. What I'm wondering is if the problem actually is caused by the gasket and if it's hard to fix or if it's a complete arse of a fix.

Cheers

Otherwise I'll just have to take a spare jerry can of fuel with me and keep the tank 3/4 full..

2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

hey joel,
    Its a proccess of elination.Start from the fuel cap an work your way back to the tank to find the issues which maybe more than one.
    First issues is to check on is the the fuel cap which maybe allowing the fuel to leak.
    Usually the fuel cap gasket has gone, or incorrect fuel cap fitted or not twisted on correctly.
    Id check to see the cap is sitting flat ,tight ,not loose,an not on an angle first, this is were the cabin fumes poor in from when cornering.
    You can buy cork gasket in rolls from places like supercheap to replace the one under the cap if theres not one there,that will pull the cap in tighter or try another cap.
    Next check the clamps connecting the filler neck to see if its loose or over tight cutting into the rubber.Its worth while pulling the hose out an have a closer look an replacing it if its old. Pertec sell the hoses if it needs replacing.
    Then if they are all good, your tank could have a small pin hole or crack in the seam.
    Bit of a job getting it out but worth it to save your car an good times ahead .
    In saying that your on a high risk of your car catching fire.!!!!!
    If your going to drive it to the concert an not fix it properly,keep the fuel level low an drive a little slower around left hand corners to avoid the fuel coming out.
    Make sure you have a few fire extinguisher handy!!!just in case....
    Id hate to see you loose your beaut splitty to a fuel fire.
    Personally i wouldnt risk driving it until the issues are sorted!!!
    Hope this helps you out!!!!
    Let us no how you go,
    cheers chuck

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. Joels73 Panel

Hey Chuck, thanks for the reply mate I really do appreciate the effort.

Just found the problem, there is a hole in the filler neck just below the rubber at the top of the filler neck. Going to seal the hole for now with a screw and later replace the entire setup for a later model tank.

4. 77/kombi/surfer

You forgot to mention if you have a stock splitty tank or later bay tank fitted.
    The reason is the splitty tanks dont have a air breather an have a looser fitting cap.
    Youll notice when you go to fill the car up you wont hear the air being sucked in when you take the fuel cap off.
    Later bay tanks have a extra metal pipe or two(depending on which model) on top which people make a modified air breather hose with a fuel filter or charcoal filter to allow air into the fuel tank and take over flows away from the engine an not effect fuel supply to the carbies.
    Im sure mr Muller from kombi rescue would have heaps more info on this for you.
    cheers

5. 77/kombi/surfer

good one joel.
    Enjoy the concert mate....
    cheers chuck

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

hey Joel, before you screw into the hole, put a good blob of silicone on the hole. That way you'll seal all around the sides of the screw & not just the bulk of the hole. Good luck..

7. Joels73 Panel

Will do Mark! I think I'll chuck a self tapper in rather than a screw

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. oldman

Yeah, self tapper will cut it's own thread for grip, but it'll be a coarse one - just the reason I suggested some sort of sealant. Cheers, Mark

9. Joels73 Panel

Will do mate, cheers!

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Not silicone. petrol will stuff it.
    get some epoxy fuel tank/radiator sealing ribbon if poss.

col

11. oldman

Ahhhh, now that's a better suggestion :cool: - listen to Col, Joel.
    I was assuming that the silicone would be dry before filling up again.
    Bloody stuff has no known solvent once cured. I used to work on curtain walls - high rise construction - in the 80's & getting rid of excess, dried silicone was a pita.....
    Cheers, Mark

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

When Pat brought his kombi it had an issue with lean mix/hot/wont start etc. prev owners had actualy changed motors to fix. they informed us of issues.
    ended up ,someone had siliconed the filler neck. All that crap entered tank. was blocking fuel outlet intermittently.
    No silicone for fuel sealant :(
    The epoxy ribbon is good for a lot of fixes. even sticks on fuel wet surfaces.

col

13. Joels73 Panel

Thanks for the tips guys, will get on it