1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dip Stick Sender Query

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Whacko Jacko, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Whacko Jacko

Whacko Jacko New Member

I have a 1976 T2 Bay Kombi 2 litre auto. How do you know if the dip stick sender is working? The oil temperature gauge jumps from 0 to maximum when ignition is switched on. Could this be a faulty dip stick sender?

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What dip stick sender?

it’s not stock.

someone use to sell a kit that you hooked up to your oil pressure light so it flashes when it passed a certain temp.

3. Whacko Jacko

Whacko Jacko New Member

chris taylor likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a short in wiring ?
    Check it is wired up correctly as well.
    Test with a multimeter.

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Has this happen to yours?Was it their when you brought the car or been installed since?
    "Please note that when bending this part to suit, use a gradual bend between thumbs and 4 fingers along the length. If the stick is kinked, it it will break the connection and will no longer work."from JKA website

6. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Have you got the wires on the correct terminals? The marking on the dipstick terminals is very faint on my son's unit and they can be reversed very easily, I think one terminal is slightly narrower than the other.

7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Not sure about this ,r u talking about gear box dip stick or engine dipstick.if engine one it should be under the bottom of the gear box, has nothing to do with the dip stick. Check for an electricle terminal along side of sump plug to see if there is a loose wire hanging down. If auto gearbox i dont know.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I think you will find he is talking about the dipstick sender which replaces the oil dipstick on the engine. They in my experience tend to be a little more accurate by a number of degrees than the sump mounted ones as it doesn’t get cooled by the air passing by. Some variations of the sump fitted ones have a shield to reduce the cooling effect.
    In this case it sounds like there is a short in the cable between the sender and the gauge, or the sender has been damaged.

Adrian

chris taylor likes this.
  9. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian.
    Have to admit i have never heard of them before ,this is why i like this club there is always something new to learn.

Mordred, grumble and oldman like this.
  10. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Use the same oil temp dipstick & engine, other day had to unplug wire connectors to check oil level & accidently reconnected the plugs wrong way around.
    Result was the gauge immediately gave a reading of max temp, swapped the wire connectors around & all fine now.
    The gauge may be designed so that if the is no reading the gauge goes to max temp.
    Tony

TeeBee likes this.
  11. Whacko Jacko

Whacko Jacko New Member

Haven't got back to above members because the car won't start so can't test anything at the moment. For back ground info we bought the van two and a half years ago and have concentrated on the interior up to now. Hoping to get it on the road for this spring (rwc and registered) for use so have started sorting out mechanical issues. The dip stick sender was installed before we bought the van. I have replaced the spark plugs, overhauled the two carbi's and just replaced the ignition switch so may get back to the dip stick sender next. I found the instructions to install a new kit for the dip stick sender and using these followed the wiring through from back to front but all seemed in order. Also, reversed the wires on the gauge thinking I reversed them accidentally (or the person before me). I have just changed the gauge thinking the old one might be suss but until I get the car running I can't try anything. As they say, big steps and little ones! Thanks all, for your comments. Will get back to you with a result hopefully soon.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If you have charge in battery you should be able to test sender with a container of boiling water

oldman likes this.
  13. Whacko Jacko

Whacko Jacko New Member

thanks cbus , i tried that idea , it worked to a point but still have an issue, I'm thinking there's a problem in the dip stick itself , I'll keep you informed down the track as i try to nut things out .

oldman likes this.
  14. Whacko Jacko

Whacko Jacko New Member

just an update on the dip stick saga ,after previous comment ,the oil temp. problem was sidelined due to the bus refusing to start , which was another issue alltogether .it turned out to be the coil ,even though iwas told by several people that it couldnt possibly be doggy ,coils never die ,they go on forever ,well iv got some news for them, they dont last forever, and as soon as i swapped it over ,we were back in business. SO, now things are back to square one,and hopfully the oil temp \ dip stick issue can be solved. [ watch this space ,and dont hold your breath] ill let you know how it pans out.

Mordred, David H, cbus and 1 other person like this.