1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distibutor Probs.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by NonnoTony48, Nov 2, 2014.

1. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Hi guys my 74 kombi as been running very poorly lately, put my foot down on Accelerator pedal and nothing seems to happen, it as a flat spot same as when timing his too retarded, after trying timing and new spark plugs+distributor cap with no good results, I bit the bullet and took in to my friendly Mechanic for service.
    he told me that the problem is with the vacum advance being warn out and he'snow trying to get the parts to fix it,
    As anyone else had the same Problem.

Cheers Tony.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

my 1974 kombi was running poorly recently, an old school mechanic suggested i check the earth wire in the distributor, it had frayed at one end and wasn't earthing properly, this made the kombi miss and carry on at higher revs. might be worth checking.

Steve

NonnoTony48 likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

do you have a timing light?

If so put it on and rev the motor

does it advance?

NonnoTony48 likes this.
  4. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Thanks Steve and Barry, yes I have a Timing Light, I will try both your suggestions.
    Cheers Tony.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

also try sucking on the vac line to dissy with cap off and look for movement in the arm fron vac/dissy plate.
    wide open throttle will give no vac but part throttle [especialy at at revs] will

6. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Thanks Cbus I'll try you suggestion as well.

Cheers Tony,

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

assuming you are timed at idle to 7.5 deg adv[single vac line to carb?] you should not get any change with vac on or off if carbs are set right and idle at less than 900rpm.
    pull vac line from dissy end and check that theres no /minimal vac at idle

with vac off. rev up to about 3500. this should give a smooth rise in advance all the way from about 1200 rpm and end at around 30 deg BTDC/adv. most adv will come in fairly early

with vac on do the same test and with lightish throttle should get more avance earlier which may be hard to be certain about but should definately show up as a total adv higher than the non vac nomber. hopefuly hit 40-44 deg btdc

if you want a bit more accuracy and have a rev counter measure at each at few pounts and graph the results

and yes, they do stuff up [vac cans]

8. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Thanks Mate, my carbs a set at 1000. so there shouldn't be much problems trying your suggestions, I will try tomorrow and see what shows up.
    Cheers Tony,

9. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I had a problem where my advance mechanism wasn't moving because it was not lubricated after cleaning the gunk off it - I smeared a little grease on it and it works fine

10. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Hello Mellow, Did you have to remove the distributor from the engine?

Cheers Tony.

11. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Hi All Today I connected the Timing Light and tried if the distributor Advanced when revving the engine.

It did advance but only to about 24 BTDC, the result was the same with the Vacuum hose connected o disconnected.
    Looks like my friendly mechanic was right, lets hope he can find the parts to fix the problem.
    Thank you all for the input.

Cheers Tony.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

should be getting a min of 28 drg . not surprised its a but sluggish. probably running hot on hwy as well.

needs sorting

13. NonnoTony48

NonnoTony48 Member

Thanks Cbus, I'll get it sorted as soon as possible.

Cheers Tony.