1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont use E10 fuel

Discussion in 'New Members' started by VolksVair, Jun 8, 2010.

1. VolksVair

VolksVair New Member

Hi All, I am still involved in the marine industry until my Vw & corvair venture gets fully underway, just an interesting observation, we service & repair many boats and lately, we have had a run of a few inboard motors with sticky valves and bordering on seizing in their guides. Turns out the fuel available from the marina is the cheap & nasty E10 that is also available from some service stations. Now I know you lot are all switched on, but for those that think they are getting cheap fuel by putting this crap into their pride & joys, THINK AGAIN!! infact even the crap that they call unleaded is below standard!! want to look after your motor, put premium in the tank. I know its expensive but at least your valve train is getting some form of lubrication. If you still want to use the basic unleaded, buy some two stroke oil and add 200mm for every forty litres of petrol. I rang a few automotive machine shops and they can NOT keep up with a major influx of cylinder head work!!:eek: cheers Frank

2. Ganga

Ganga Active Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I generally try to be "environmentally-friendly" but nevertheless I wouldn't use E10 in a kombi. I tried it once and think I got away with it, but the engine did seem to be running hotter on its tuning at the time (according to the dipstick gauge) and the engine just felt to me like it was running rougher.

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

200mL/40L = a fairly weak solution hence no harm in trying.

5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

200mm=20cm, that would be quite a large amount .... ;)

I would be curious though how the oil goes, if anyone tries it please let us know the results.

6. Ganga

Ganga Active Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I used to use a Caltex servo which was ideally located on my run in Sydney to get fuel -mainly in my Toyota Carolla. Until one day they decided to replace ALL of the standard unleaded fuels with E 10 and handed out a brochure on vehicles that could handle it.

I noted none of my vehicles were pronounced suitable - especially the older kombis and even a 93 model Japanese car was not suitable. Hence, even the petrol companies say stay away unless you have a new car (less than 10 years old) or a Brazillian made car.

I have never been back to that servo since.

Also a lady servo Owner in Crescent Head informed me last Christmas that some time this year there would be a complete change over of all standard unleaded fuels to E10 in NSW. Hope she was / is wrong.

8. VolksVair

VolksVair New Member

200mm ?? Ha yeah okay, just blame me age mate. the two stroke provides upper cylinder & Valve lubricant. 2 stroke oil in the fuel of a 2 stroke engine lubricates all moving parts including needle roller bearings. Adding this small amount to your 4 stroke automotive engine does no harm, but, does add that little bit extra lubricant that is not available in todays piss poor quality fuels. 40 mls is not a great amount and no, your exhaust will not be billowing out heaps of smoke. Remember, most air cooled motors suffer from burnt & dropped exhaust valves, dropped guides, worn valve guides. By using E10 you are only increasing early valve & valve guide failure. By adding some 2 stroke, you will not notice any difference, but the life of your valve train can only benefit from that extra lubricant. Just wondering, anybody been using this E10, I allways see people lined up at the cheap bowsers here in Geelong as E10 is about 10 cents cheaper, but you pay the big price with an engine overhaul down the track. Has anyone had an early engine failure and not known why, has anyone that has been using E10, left their car sitting for a couple of weeks and then found that they had a stuck valve? watch this space as this comes to light over the next few months, for those that have doubts about 2 stroke as an adittive, dont use it! simple, I will give you one more example, one of my cars is a 96 chevrolet suburban 7.4 ltr petrol engine. It has knock sensors in the motor, about 6 months back, my engine management system warning light would come on, I used unleaded fuel, I blamed the oxygen sensor but was wrong, later I started using premium, after I was on my second tank of premium, the warning light stayed off. I was gobsmacked! but to convince myself, I went back to unleaded and within a week, the light came back on. My boss actually suggested the 2 stroke scenario and I tried it, within 20 klms, the light went out. But I have only used premium since and that light has never come back on. Todays fuels are way below standard and we are paying way over the top prices. Frank

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

She is not wrong. It is State Government policy. All standard unleaded fuel will be E10.

http://www.biofuels.nsw.gov.au/?a=98336

10. MY74VW

MY74VW Member

This topic is just the tip of the iceburg about what pisses me off. The environmental debate will go on and on and while it does the Government and many other opportunists will take advantage of the uncertainty for their own profit. Now I have to put crap fuel in my car to 'save the environment.' I'm sure the 10% ethenol is cancelled out by the 10% more fuel I have to put in my car to go the same distance. How is pollution reduced when extra engine parts will need to be manufactured to fix broken engines from crap fuel.

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Have to agree with that sentiment :wtf: :eek: :umm:

12. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I heard on Top Gear the other night that it creates more green house gasses to make a Toyota Prius than a Toyota Prius could ever hope to reduce, make sense?

What is going to happen to all of the batteries when they eventually discharge?

13. Vanessa92

Vanessa92 Member

But if E10 is going to be everywhere... what can go in the Kombis in NSW?

14. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

95 or 98 octane.

15. Dudo

Dudo New Member

premium all the way for me, i use it in all my cars.

16. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

My kombi runs like s**t on e10 only the good stuff for my kombi

17. old skool

old skool New Member

The only fuel I use ...
    but that is in the Corvette:)

[​IMG]

May try it in the kombi?:wtf:

18. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I use E10 in the kombi when i need to limp to the next servo for more LPG, it does run a little rich due to the gas venturi ring creating a slight air restriction. Following dingo's fuel usage tables it's well within expected usage so it's not running that rich. VW engines don't run valve stem seals so the valve stems are well oiled at that end and if you T the engine breather hose and feed it in near the carbies the oil mist provides good top end lubrication. I do need to rebuild the engine, cracked case so the E 10 can't be blamed for that, it is also blowing a bit of smoke but I think that was my fault for over filling the sump going to CampKeen in Jan and it has settle down now and stopped using oil, if it was worn guides the problem would have remained and plug carboning problems would have appeared.
    If you really must add something to the fuel get your hands on some well made Bio Diesel and add about 250ml to a tank full. The exhaust will seem a little wet but there is virtually no smoke as it won't burn, not enough compression time so absolutely no risk of carbon build up anywhere and it adds a bit more low down torque on the hills and absolutely stops pinging. This stuff is a more refined product than what was used for decades in the JAP speedway bike engines for lubricating oil. If the exhaust is real wet you are using too much but it will wash all the carbon soot out of the engine and exhaust and stop it from rusting out.
    I also run E10 in our '95 Barina, poor little thing gets the gizzards thrashed out of it and it's still going strong with near 200,000kms on the clock although it does have a rattly cam follower, that's engine design not fuel related. If I use std unleaded it pings it's head off up the big climbs around here so a lower gear needs to be used and therefore it uses more fuel, premium gives a little bit of fuel economy improvement but $$ per km it's way behind and it doesn’t run any better.

E10 shouldn't be used in marine or aircraft engines, it will and does absorb water. In a car this helps to keep water from collecting in the fuel tank and carby bowls. I never buy from little used service stations, I try to target Woolies as they have a high fuel turnover, it's all Caltex or Shell fuel no matter what sign is out the front in NSW. BP proudly state they use ethanol in all their fuel, but then they also proudly displayed they added Methyl Benzene to their old super fuel, Methyl Benzene is BP's bullsh*t name for tolulene, paint thinners. I see they are currently experimenting with mixing crude oil and sea water :lol:
    Ever wondered what is used to boost the octane rating of premium fuel? Probably a high octane alcohol distilled product, but isn't that what ethanol is? Ironically, you will happily drink the stuff but you wouldn't put it in your car :rolleyes:

T1 Terry

19. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Whilst I never use E10 in The Doctor, I have used it extensively in my 1990 Toyota Corolla Seca. It's done 333,000 kilometers and hasn't had a spanner to it yet. I certainly don't thrash the car and it regularly returns between 31 and 33 mpg. I even once got 45mpg on a long haul from Forbes to Ballarat, although not on E10, just common unleaded.

The Corolla very rarely does short trips and that's probably been it's salvation. I've owned it since August 98 and have never had to replace any of the exhaust system. Before using E10 on a regular basis, I was getting around the same mileage out of a tank of fuel, so no difference there.
    The car has had a problem for a couple of years now that nobody seems able to diagnose. Whilst building up revs from a stop, at around 2,500 rpm, it "hic-cups." It's not like a flat spot. It's as though a gremlin yanks off a coil wire and instantly puts it back again. It does it hot and/or cold. Unfortunately it doesn't do it all the time, but most of the time. It scares me when I'm making a dash across a busy intersection and it hic-cups. It does it in 1st and 2nd gear but never in top (3 speed automatic). It's a real mystery, but I doubt E10 is the culprit.