1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving light globes

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by saabman, Oct 4, 2016.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Not specifically kombi but it did happen on My land belt ladies Amarok so VW at least.

We have some Narva spotlights mounted on the bullbar which get a good work out On our regular trips to the farm and both failed at aboutthe same time - we turned them on one day and nothing. As both had gone figured it must have been perhaps the connector in switching line from the high beam or the fuse or something wireing related as what's the chance of both globes blowing at the same time.

After checking the obvious the globes were the only thing left and sure enough they had power but failed to function though the filament looked ok.

Never mind buy some new globes and all was good again.

This morning I thought I better give my car a clean out and came accross one of the old globes that hadnt made it to the bin and thought I'd have a closer look as the filament REALY looked ok.
    [​IMG]

As you can see the filament looks ok but the base of the globe looks a bit dodgey so out with microscope for a closer look

[​IMG]

You can just make out the burnt bit of wireing within the glass on the connection closest to the bottom of the image.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Syncro27 likes this.
  2. saabman

If I crank the voltage up to the globe itwill arc over the crack and attempt to illuminate the globe - then it just tries to draw way more current than my power supply can deliver with and it all shuts down.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Now THAT is diagnostics !
    Nice Bernie.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. saabman

It's just a putty I can't drag the microscope over the kombi lol - maybe best I don't

oldman likes this.