1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Bay Help Please

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by jakeyboy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

Hi all, I'm having difficulty with my early bay. My bus has no identification plates and the bulk head has been removed either by a previous owner of a conversion. The bus does have a tag on the right hand side of the inside of the engine bay. It is stamped on a tag and reads 234M 0065. I'm not sure if I can just re register the bus or what to do. At the moment it's in a bad way but don't want to spend money on a bus that may be dodgie. Any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

2. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Can you get details by checking the rego number ?

3. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

It has no rego plates. The guy I bought it off pulled it and another out of a field for a few bob.

4. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

If anyone has a low light camper and can show me where there stamped numbers are located I'd be very appreciative

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

That number you have located in the engine bay is the chassis number. It would have also been on the bulkhead. Can't you get reg with that alone? They should be able to trace the vehicle with that. As far as I know theat is the only 2 places chassis number was located on Aus built early bay bus'.

6. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

In qld you will find it very hard without the compliance plate. It should have the plate on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat. Unless you can either find the plate, unlikely, or plan to go over to the dark side and try to rebirth it using another id, highly illegal and definitely not recommended, you will most likely find you will not be able to register it without jumping through a lot of hoops. You would need to prove the year, seating capacity when built, etc as most records older than about 20 years are not retained for pre vin numbered cars that aren't registered.

Check with qld transport but I think you will find if it had a vin plate/compliance plate fitted, it must remain on the car. I'm not sure if you would have issues removing the bulkhead for rego? Those old seats use it for support.

You may also find it is less than legit too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

Are you sure the number I have is the chassis number? I thought the chassis number was just numbers and about ten numbers long. The vehicles bulkhead has been removed so no plates there.

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

jackeyboy,
    if your bus was a 69/70 or earlier there will be no compliance plate fitted on the drivers side bulk head.the chassis # is inside the engine bay on the right hand side near the battery,either behind the cables or bellow the oil cooler is its there and is 10 numbers.
    I live in n.s.w. an had a 73 bus that had the compliance plate removed which came from canberra.Luckily the rego plates were still fixed on the car an the old rego stickers on the windscreen.
    The guy doing the blue slip contacted the r.t.a. about it and they said to go into the r.t.a and ask them about getting a form faxed through from the canberra r.t.a.office to verify the car had been regoed for 2 years or more which cost $40.
    I took this in for the rego with the blueslip and greenslip an the r.t.a. gave me the new rego plates.
    So id inquire with your motor registery and blue slip guy first before you do any work on the car to see if it can go back on the road.
    Hope this helps,
    cheers chuckster

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Apologies. Your chassis number should be 10 digits as Chuckster mentioned above. Location pic. Not mine

[​IMG][/url]

10. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

I'm very appreciative of all your help guys. Ill check for numbers when I next at the bus. Thanks again

11. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

I've managed to track down the number to my camper. It's a ten digit number and starts 231 meaning its a type 2, kombi manufactured in 1971, I did a revs check and it came back as "no registration exists for this serial number"
    Anybody have any ideas how I can check to see my engine and vehicle were never stolen? Thanks for your help

12. roqsta

roqsta Member

I would go have a chat with Queensland transport. I once registered a car that had no compliance plate and hadn't been on a road for long time. I think I had to sign a stat dec or something. Did 71 have compliance plates?
    I am in deagon if you want to look at where engine numbers and plates etc are located?

13. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

I bought a 69 and did a rego/chassis check with the r.t.a.an found out that as the car has 10 digit chassis # that they dont have those earlier chassis numbers on file.
    Newer cars have a 12 0r 14? digit i think and they can be searched as to check if the car is a repairable rightoff or such.
    Id suggest you to do what roqsta advice above suggests as a starting point.
    Go speak to your blue slip guy for advice,im sure theres a way to sort it out.
    chuckster

14. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

Thanks lads, ill give em a shout Monday. Then I'm on the hunt for a sand blaster, yay, joys never end.

15. jakeyboy

jakeyboy Member

Ok, so I rang PPSR (revs) they only check if its been on the road in the last three years. Qld transport can't tell me it has been stolen or not until I try and register it due to the privacy act and Qld police day it isn't coming up as stolen on their system but it may be stolen from another state.

16. kombikate

kombikate Member

Jack boy, if you have problems and need matching vin plate and chassis numbers I have a set of a 71' bus that I cut up a few years ago. There's nothing dodgy about them I just thought someone might need them one day for a legite reason. Anyway if you find you need them let me know, I'm not chasing any cash. Cheers Shaun

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I was getting a Canberra car (1975 L bug) registered in NSW 10 years ago.
    Unfortunately it didnt have the compliance, They took it off to spray and then lost it
    It also didnt have the 2 years Canberra rego.

Blue slip man said I needed a VIIU (Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit) inspection.
    Needs to be booked in for this.

Anyway - when I took it to RTA they laughed and said "its only a VW"
    They rang the blue slip guy, told him to pull his head in and take the comment off the rego papers.

Got my car registered.

here is the NSW link if it helps

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/search_re...8&q=VIIU&cx=018123745793417354710:s6lvzuldtcm

18. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

I am certain that your intentions are honorable, but re-birthing a car is not legal, and can have very expensive ramifications.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...found-to-be-fake/story-e6freon6-1226387512280

19. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

20. kombikate

kombikate Member

Thanks for the info, didn't really consider both of those aspects . I'll scrap the both of those. Cheers Shaun