1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ebay low light 69

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by chris smart, Jul 25, 2009.

1. chris smart

chris smart Member

2. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

Sounds like a lovely seller too. Good year '69 (my birth year)

3. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

Sorry me again - being a novice to this kombi thing is 69 a good year? I must admit is very tempting!!

4. farquire

farquire Active Member

hi,69 is a great year, but as with all kombi's it would need hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars ,and then a lifetime of commitment ,

5. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Maree, It depends what your looking for. 69, Will not have disk brakes or Irs and It will most likely have a 1600.

6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Boosted disk brakes can be done. Amanda's 69 has front disks but isn't boosted..... Yet!

7. big dave

big dave Member

I think you will find that all bays have IRS. Disks are easy to fit, late bay disks will bolt on but this will change your bolt pattern or there are many after market disk kits available.
    If your willing to do the work or pay the money, many engine options are available.

But unfortunatly you CANNOT bolt on early bay coolness to a later bus!!!

8. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Hey dave don't let everyone know this :D

9. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

How would I get it to Melbourne? Is there transport company that move cars that aren't registered or going?
    Mmm sits on fingers - I could store it for a while............ and work out where to start on it lol

10. Frank

Frank Active Member

Hi Maree,

Buying your first Kombi is great - but I would suggest that you look at all options to see what would suit you. You may get this lowlight at a reasonable price but it would take a fair bit of money and time if you want all the panels, rust etc etc fixed - and you then have a 1600cc motor as well. If you plan to do long distance traveling and may be carrying a few passengers, tents etc etc - then it may be worthwhile looking at a later bay which may cost a bit more, but then you could use it straight away. Also the later bays do have disc brakes up front and most have a 2000cc motor that just is a lot faster and stronger (when standard).

11. Thomas

Thomas New Member

The ad says it only has 69,452 original miles on the clock.
    Kombis tick over at 99,999 back to zero.. so I'd think in 40 years it would probably have done more than that (just a speculation... I could be wrong).
    I'm not sure how many Australian kombis are in miles either? (again, I'm not fully in the know).

12. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

thanks Frank & Thomas great points

13. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Maree,

also don't make the same mistake I made, go and have a look it or have someone you trust have a look at this Kombi, never bid on a car on ebay unless you are prepared to lose that money, if the car turns out a complete dud.

P.s. I,m not saying this seller is dishonest, you just need to cover yourself. My mistake turned out to be a rite-off

regrads

Chris

14. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

Hi Chris - thanks have come to my senses and will continue to try and educate myself and allow my Kombi to find me - not force it.

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hi Maree that right keep looking,i hope sooner or latter you find the right one for you.
    Keep searching and good luck.
    Cheers Kai.

16. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I reckon you're pretty right there Thomas.
    I remember witnessing Bessie (1970 lowlight) roll back to zero over three years ago.
    I dont know how many times she's reached that milestone in her 39 years.

17. maree_bradross

maree_bradross Member

me again lol - so with this particular kombi what would be the order of doing things? (sorry am complete novice!!) when you say 2000cc engine - how much is one of those worth - is there a particular type? Gathering it isn't worthwhile making do with the current engine as it isn't powerful enough.
    When you talk about the brakes and running gear how much is that approximately - different bolt pattern do you mean on the wheels? When you say make it lower what does that entail? Is there someone in Melbourne that you recommend with doing the work on it.
    How much would a '69 lowlight be worth that is in good nick?

18. Konrad

Konrad New Member

eBay links?

Hi Mods,

I didn't think eBay links were allowed here?

19. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Have a look at another forum on this site called, whats a kombi worth.Theres plenty of info on there put together by roy that is pretty close to what you are up for.
    New engine rebuilds ,depending on how big a motor your after sort of start around $3k+
    rust is an issue with lowlights...could be a few thousand +.
    new paint job..$3-$5k.
    new rubbers in windows an door $1k +..Get the picture!!!
    Ive had a mate of mine just get his 71 deluxe lowlight on the road an he,s spent around $12k an still going. Thats not a new motor an paint. Just fix it up an on the road.
    So the moral to the story is any unregistered vw will potentialy need a lot of work an dollars needed to make it reliable .Depending on what finish your after.
    If you havent had a bus before ,do your research, find what features your after , an start hunting...youll find what your after in due time..
    Have a good look at members resto section...check out all the issues that they are having with any lowlights. Hope this helps you out..Gotta love a lowlight!!!!
    Check lowlight websites..www.lowlight.com.au or www.earlybays.com in the u.k.
    cheers chuck

20. slowas

slowas New Member

Hey Maree
    The 1600 motor is a lot more reliable, cheaper and easier to repair and more economical on fuel than a 2000. So dont stop looking at 1600 kombis