1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Fuel Pump?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Alpal, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

That is it. One thing, 2 and 3 on the CP30 are reversed. The Gas 12v means 12v IN and the Gas Lock Off is the one you need to run the relay.

If you get a relay with 2 x 87 terminals (shouldn't be too hard to find) you can run one to the pump and one to the solenoid valve. Quite a few have a blade type fuse in the relay housing that is easy to access and saves having a separate fuse holder. Might be a bit more challenging to find 5 pin and fuse in the same package but it gives you some options.

Adrian

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. JMack

JMack Member

Beauty! Thanks. Looks like I'm busy on the weekend :)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

you can also run the + to the Cp30 from the + side of the coil. that is switched ignition.

Mordred and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Kai is correct, that will save some effort to get a ignition switched 12v. The 12 volt for the relay feed to the pump and solenoid can come straight from the battery + but it may pay to put a fuse close to the battery.

In that case you don't need a fuse on the relay unless it is pretty close. The point of the fuse is it will blow if there is a fault (short) down stream of it but not upstream. If the short is between the battery and the fuse holder the wire becomes the fuse element and until it burns out becomes a really good heater element, so you want to keep the distance as short as practical.

One thing VW never fitted in buses was in the 12v feed from the starter motor to the fuse box should be a fusible link (30 amps or what ever the max rating of the cable is). Fitted in modern cars for the reason above but left out as a cost saving measure I suspect in older cars.

Adrian

5. JMack

JMack Member

Thanks Kai / Adrian - all very helpful!!

Mordred likes this.
  6. JMack

JMack Member

Finally got around to fitting the Peel, fuel cut-off solenoid, relay, etc, etc today - all looking good until I got to the fuel lines! Thought I did all my homework here and went to change the line from the tank to go to the fuel cut-off solenoid using a 5/16 line but it was obviously too big for the tank outlet. Very loose and fuel going everywhere. Is the tank outlet 5.5mm on my 75?????? (Reading suggested 7mm!). Help please.....

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

from memory - small diameter on tank going to the small diameter 'in' option on the fuel filter...then large diameter 'out' option on the fuel filter going to the fuel pump (or whatever you put in-between)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Original fuel tank outlets where 6.3 (about 1/4") Unless you have a fuel injected tank which is 8mm or 5/16".
    I take it at the bottom of your fuel tank outlet you have a nut which you can unscrew from the bottom of the tank? ! As later model tanks from 76 > have a fixed outlet i think.
    You can do as tintop has mentioned :rolleyes: above or you can buy new outlets that you can screw into your tank giving you the 8mm (5/16")outlet will you are at it replace the brass filter inside your tank(Caution make sure your tank is empty to do this)o_O:eek:.

TeeBee and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. JMack

JMack Member

Its a twin carb so must be the smaller one. Does have the removable outlet. Thanks

Mr Beckstar likes this.