1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Heater ?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by 77VDUB, May 16, 2016.

1. 77VDUB

77VDUB Member

Hi
    I'm running a Subaru powered Kombi and as such have no heating set up. Someone recently suggested installing an electric heating system. Has anyone got any experience or know if you can purchase any units ? Off to Tasmania soon might be a tad cool !
    Cheers

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ask them if they can do maths?

Read what the wattage of a heater would be then how much your battery and alternator can supply.

Wont work.

Buy some good socks n thermals or sort a water run heater from the motor.

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

You can get gas heater units from the UK that look the bees knees. But the price they command it might be easier to learn how to drive in ugg boots and a doona.

You could get the heated seats pads though. they would help and run off sensible 12volt systems. You can get them off ebay for about $60 a pair.

4. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Tassie is warmer than Swan Hill at Easter at night. Bloody Outback. Flies and heat in the day and thermals and electric blankets at night. Make up your mind!!!!

Seriously though, go to Kathmandu and buy some merino thermals. (not the polyester ones although they are ok) They are on special often. Been the best clothing I have ever bought for camping and in the middle of winter outside. Get wet and you are still warm.

Adrian

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:Conjures up a picture of Tasmanians sunbaking in thermals .

But totaly agree

And block ALL holes in the cabin area that allow cold air in while driving

Mordred likes this.
  7. 77VDUB

77VDUB Member

Thanks all I think I might do the warm socks and beanie option !

8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

10. 77VDUB

77VDUB Member

Thanks Splitbus I reckon I'll investigate on of those 12v units to help clear the screen in the morning. cheers

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You will want to do some rewiring of your electrics before you go using a 150W heater in a cigarette lighter socket. That is 14 amps you will be pulling.

12. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

I have a 12v fan heater that I bought a few yrs ago, it plugs into the lighter socket, but it is lucky if it generates any noticeable ambient heat in the van unless its run for well over an hour, good for demisting the windscreen and that's about it. I second the merino thermals and good socks idea. plus that will keep you warm while your out of the van too.

Attached Files:

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

another good reason to keep it stock.

in the stock system the cabin heat is drawn from the exhaust system
    perhaps you can get some customized exhaust system to work with the original heater boxes ?

14. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

A water cooled heater box and electric fan from thousands of different cars could be fitted up.
    The 12 volt fan and the heater core often come as a complte unit, plumb it into the Subaru heater pipes and duct the air into the Kombi heater tubes near your gearbox.
    Rear heater units from T3/T4 caravelles could be mounted up in the rear cabin, but you won't get de- mister function.

I would want clean air cabin filter or use a pick up point from the dis-used clean air cooling ducts.
    Grab a tape measure and off to a friendly wrecker.

syncro and Jerome like this.
  15. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I am not sure why you would discard the suggestion made by a couple of us to fit a heater that uses hot water, given that you have a water cooled engine and that is what water cooled vehicles used for decades? And for about $300 as per the eBay link. Then again $300 will get a few people into thermals and mittens.
    Would be lucky to reinstate the heating system on an air cooled bus for $1000, if at all.

Ps t4 beat me too it! Consider 2nd hand units too.

syncro likes this.