1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi... Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by leightk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

I've seen electric Beetles for sale a few times in the last couple of years. Haven't seen a bus for sale yet.
    Here's a clip I found via The Samba.

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Yes Les mentioned there was one Mike at CBB was doing a few years ago. It was really weird to not hear the kombi start up and start moving :eek:

Complete Beetle conversion kits are available. Last time I looked they were about $20-30k. We were looking at making Nats beetle electric - thought it be pretty cool haveing your first car electric. But the cost stopped us.

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

You can buy an iMev for less than cost of converting an old car to EV, so getting harder to justify the DIY approach imho.

4. saabman

I'm glad you said iMiev rather than the leaf o_O

The kombi could really use the drivetrain from a tesla p85D that would almost be worth spending the $250k for the whole car and replacing the body :cool:

paul77 likes this.
  5. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

who wouldn't want an awd electric kombi that could reach 100kph in less than 5 seconds?

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As long as there was an upgrade on handling as well. :eek:

7. saabman

Where's your sense of adventure Col :)

8. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Google Zombie 222 - fastest electric car in the world, smoked a tesla...

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I you took the fastest tesla and then removed range, safety, nvh measures, features and comfort, then zombie might be in its sights.

10. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Yeah true, either way a 9 second electric car is pretty damn impressive!

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Personal knowledge of high speed and compromised stability.:eek:

Old age means one realises, before it happens, that its going to hurt.

12. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

That guy also put this up, showing how he built the bus (the electric conversion is almost secondary to the work he put into the bus!)

13. saabman

Your comment Paul has been bothering me and it only just dawned on me why.

I've been wanting to build an electric car for sometime and start investigating and get put off by the economies etc. shelve the idea and one back to it later, repeat the process.

At a recent electric car display I was talking to a guy who had built his own and also had an iMiev and he said something similar to you - it's more economical to buy one than build your own.

But why have I rebuilt a '68 Mitsubishi, a SAAB, a couple of Kombis a beetle and looking at building a custom EV. Because I like to have a car not everyone else has and I built it. Why the hell do we all own kombis - there usually slow, noisy, uneconomical, hot, cold but how cool are they :cool:

For me it's about what can I do - pushing myself beyond the 9 to 5 and standing out from the crowd :p

paul77 and Mordred like this.
  14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine myself buying an iMev but I still think about an electric superbug or some other classic car.

15. saabman

That's it

I do have a super bug rolling rusty chassis /body/seats sitting in the backyard

:cool:

16. PUCH 1HM

PUCH 1HM Member

Have a look at the link watched most of the series last night about 10 episodes he uses a 1990 DOKA

johnvw likes this.
  17. saabman

thanks for that link Bob - there is some great stuff there - The guy presenting is a bit bland but Im sure he is a much better mechanic/auto electrician than a tv Personality ;)

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Agreed Bernie.

But in another of his vids, accelerating away with an in car camera, it just sounds Sooooo wrong. :(

It LOOKED like driving a great T3 Kombi, but there was no satisfying tunes coming from the non existent exhaust........it just removed some of the pleasure of actually driving a Kombi, that I just took for granted, and never thought about, until I watched that vid.o_O

19. saabman

I didn't get that far - I'll check it out tomorrow.

They really need to record the engine sound and play it back while driving - just not sure how you would deal with gear changes ;)

I'm considering the SAAB might be a possible conversion candidate it doesn't make much sound any way apart from a little turbo whine when you wind it up

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I drove a Lexus Hybrid in Melbourne the other weekend. Motor kicks in when needed, type stuff, and recharges on deceleration.

Probably just me, but reversing out of the garage, so silent that it would catch a passing pedestrian by surprise, and then off down the street where I'm sure streetwise kids, dogs & cats, have learnt that an approaching engine signals danger...............they've all got no chance with a vehicle like that!:eek: