1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi... Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by leightk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Overnight at our charging station;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support, I think I'll go ahead with it after I get the body fully restored. Maybe make the mods to fit the electric motor, controller and batteries first, then send it off to an expert to make Kombi as new again as far as the body anyway.
    I'm looking to get around the 400km range so a big battery pack, fast recharging to 80% thing so I can stop for lunch at the 400km point and have more than 300km range available again when I'm ready to hit the road.
    The other thing I want to with Kombi is flat tow it behind one of our motorhomes. There is an issue with towing a kombi long distances in neutral, no oil splash in the gearbox and damage occurs. With the electric motor I can put it 4th gear and tow it without a problem. The electric motor free spins so adds very little load, maybe I could rig something up so it could assist with the driving up hills and off the mark, something for the future to play with
    to get around the 400km range so a big battery pack, fast recharging to 80% thing so I can stop for lunch at the 400km point and have more than 300km range available again when I'm ready to hit the road.
    The other thing I want to with Kombi is flat tow it behind one of our motorhomes. There is an issue with towing a kombi long distances in neutral, no oil splash in the gearbox and damage occurs. With the electric motor I can put it 4th gear and tow it without a problem. The electric motor free spins so adds very little load, maybe I could rig something to assist on the hill climbs and take off, something to tinker with in the future, well maybe in the distant future :lol:
    I already have the motor and controller and can even test the whole thing using the battery pack in the back of the Prius for a maybe 100km range.

T1 Terry

onetrackwonder and 68BUS like this.
  3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Look forward to watching the process. Please keep us updated.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

400 km a big ask in a Kombi with its big nose :)

Assume you have seen the blog where french couple converted a syncro.
    Think initial mixed runs were chewing close to 30kWh / 100 km.
    Pretty sure that was battery to wheels numbers.

5. T1 Terry

Ouch, that's roughly 100Ah @ 270vdc every 100kms, I'll be very upset if it's that bad. The Prius is only 9.8kWh on full electric for the same distance and it has to drag around the ICE engine as well.

T1 Terry

6. T1 Terry

Just had a look at the Mitsubishi Highlander EV energy use as it is a rather heavy and not very aerodynamic shape and it is only 9.8kWh to travel 54km, about half that of the Prius but still, there must be something seriously wrong with the converted Syncro if it's only getting 30kWh/100km range. What is the comparative ltr/100km to my bay Kombi's 5.5ltr/100km at highway speeds on LPG?

T1 Terry

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have not found a number yet for bay or T3 @ 100km/hr but my estimate is 18.5-20 kWh at the WHEELS.

The Mitsubishi highlander @ 9.8/54 is roughly 19/100. Battery to wheels ?
    The outlander will have a better CdA than a bay or T3.

Cd, ( wiki)
    Prius. Average. 0.25.
    Westy T3. 0.51
    T3. 0.44
    Estimate on mitsu 0.38

Expect a syncro with big wheels n rack will be at least westy number.
    Plus A added to the calculations affects the flat faced vws more than the mitsu or Prius.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Do you mean 15.5 for the lpg?

my usual mixed or hwy on lpg.15.2
    Often 14.8 hwy.
    A regraphing of dissy gave me a couple of tanks @12.3 and over a number of tanks 13.5 l/100km.

9. Maccas

Maccas Member

At what exorbitant price this, plus the thrill of joining the EV queue at Old Bar servo for a recharge on Sunday afternoon after the Festival and hope the coal fired power stations cope ticketty boo:

https://mymodernmet.com/volkswagen-type-20-electric-vehicle/

Mmmmmmmm, can't wait ................

micklyan likes this.
  10. T1 Terry

If you stayed at a caravan park you could/would be recharging from the moment you got there. They have 15 amp outlets, that's 3.6kW x how ever many hrs you are plugged in. My Prius with its pitiful 1.3kW charger will recharge the 9.8kWh battery from completely drained to full in 7hrs, it would take under 3 hrs if I could use all the capacity from a 15 amp 240v power outlet. Even if the Kombi used twice as much energy per 100km and I wanted a range of 400kms, that's less than 24hr for a recharge from empty to full. What if I used a 3 phase outlet to run 3 chargers, 7 1/2 hrs.
    As far as the coal fired power station, maybe still an eyesore in NSW, but thankfully they tor down the last on here in SA yrs ago. This state is powered by renewables and sells its excess to the other states.
    The servo fast charger is really only for point B to point C recharging, point A to point be was powered by an over night recharge. If you want to go more than 700km a day then you could grab another 300km fast charge and stretch that out to 1,000km before the next over night charge, but not too many of us still have the 1,000km a day driving stamina left.

T1 Terry

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hi Terry.
    What's the market like for buying Ev batteries out of written off cars in Au.?

12. T1 Terry

Write off cars in Australia and imported cells/battery modules from the US are getting easier and easier to locate and purchase. There are a number of new chemistry cells recently arrived on the scene at a reasonable price and energy to weight ratio as well, LG NCM 63Ah pouch cells, NCM, LTO and even different chemistry after market battery packs for a number of the older EV's and hybrids.
    I bought a drop in replacement traction battery for my Prius about 6 mths ago from a local wrecker in Adelaide, cost $400, might have been a one off because I haven't seen them that cheap before, but maybe just a matter of looking around and asking what they have.

T1 Terry

cbus likes this.
  13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

TeeBee and David H like this.
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 7:09 PM
  16. T1 Terry

The Farcebook link is a closed group and I have no wish to trigger 1001 more Farcebook emails to say someone I might know has said something on their bit.
    Are they doing DC or 3 phase AC motor conversions, what voltage and where are they putting the battery pack?

T1 terry

17. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Terry
    I will follow your journey.
    It is also something that I am very interested in. I have only done a little bit of research and it appears a DIY job with a range of 200k seems still not real affordable, batteries seem the killer. ...... still, I could sneakily sell the wifes PT cruiser;)

18. T1 Terry

Certainly not a cheap option, but I'm hoping it will be satisfying result. The DC conversion is certainly the cheapest have a watch of these You Tube vids and start from the beginning to see the path this guy took. Very impressive video quality so not boring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2l32K1w0jp-m04Jl-3PHmtapevOuCeIp quite a project and he does come up with some interesting, even if very time consuming, ideas for battery packs that would be real cheap if you have the time and patience.

T1 Terry

19. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Yes I have been watching that guy. He was even pulling batteries way apart down to the AA level