1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi... Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by leightk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

its very Rudimentry. A transformer from a microwave oven with the secondary removed and replaced with 3 turns of welding cable. Gives around 3V at 100A or so.

I made little pulse generator to limit the on time to a couple of hundred milliseconds and made some probes out of a bit of thick copper pipe That was the bit earnt me a night in hospital) The probes I made arnt good enough so am considering buying a premade handheld spring loaded probe.
    I wouldnt go down the route of building one again they can be brought for only a couple of hundred off Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handhel...540519?hash=item23b2f956e7:g:hNUAAOSwZbVcLXcm
    IMG_6008.jpeg 57672823612__01EADF6D-314F-4051-9045-F1D436CE9574.jpeg made

2. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Thanks for that good advice, better to let someone else put the drill through their finger, the lost time and medical costs soon add up to more than the ebay purchase price .... and you can get your money back if it doesn't work :lol:

T1 Terry

3. saabman

Spot on . it has cost more and I still don’t have a battery pack built and my finger is still not right.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20191022-173724_Facebook.jpg

Once their website is up i will post the link here.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

6. T1 Terry

7. saabman

Don’t know of them but the article seems to be a bit off stating it’s the first ev Kombi.

might be THEIR first EV Kombi but not the first in Aus

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to think they are the first at things.:rolleyes:
    Just shows that they are not in the loop.o_O

9. saabman

More like a typical reporter only writing what they want to believe.

I’d love to have an electric vehicle and electrification of my Kombi is on the cards but the media seems to love flogging the the myth of reduced maintenence cost as a selling feature. Once you take the cost of the conversion and the replacement costs of batteries into account there’s not really a cost benefit.

$1500 to $3000 annual service costs for Kombi is a bit over the top.

10. T1 Terry

Carefully worded, "has just built one of Australia’s first electric (EV) Volkswagen Kombis." :lol:
    As far as justifying the conversion in saved $$ terms, I doubt it could be made on a commercial basis, but no fuel and oil/filters costs, even if you are doing the servicing yourself, does account for something.
    I'm just wondering if they actually did all the technical part or just bought a kit from the likes of EV West or similar and using a DC motor rather than a 3 phase AC motor and VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to drive it.
    There is an interest VW Beetle conversion in progress over on the electric vehicle forum https://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6425&sid=a562fc175f836c56a134ce3b8b46a773 using a Nissan Leaf motor etc driving into the original gearbox.

T1 Terry

11. saabman

There is not much info on their website unfortunately. Some photos of their installation would be neat I’m keen to see how they fit the batteries under the seat. The Kombi conversion I’ve seen had a battery box directly behind the driver/passenger seat and was lead acids from memory - it was about 6 or 7 years ago when I saw it.

I still don’t agree with their servicing cost as a large portion of servicing and maintaining a classic vehicle is not the engine but suspension/ brakes / electrical/ body/interior. Changing the oil and setting the points and valves is only a portion of the whole cost.

don’t get me wrong I think conversions are great and what the company appears to be doing is a great thing but the idealistic article doesn’t reflect reality.

I was watching a video blog earlier today and the guy was taking about the cost of charging an EV and while you can charge at home it’s great but if you need the services of a supercharger the rates escalated exponentially. It was a Pommy show and prices were in pence but I’m sure it would be relatively correct for us it went something like 11p /kWh to charge from home to 24p /kWh at a Tesla supercharger and something like 50p or more for a another brand backed by VAG and others (I wrote the figures down but don’t have them at hand)

Based on that if we are paying 60c - $1.00 per kw/h to charge at a fast charge station it looks even worse economicaly . The article indicated a 50kwh battery was good for 120km that’s at best 2.4kwh per Km ( I’m sure some one can put a more accurate figure on it) based on those numbers that $2.40 per km which is comparable to paying for fuel. Maybe my figgures are all wrong. If some one has something better than my guesstimates I’m happy to revise my thinking.

Like I said before I love electric vehicles, they just have a long way to go to become eccomically and environmentally friendly.

12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Andy Ho is working on 3 electric conversion projects atm. 2 Kombi and an insane Mini Moke.

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I know of a T3 SC that was destined for an EV conversion......

Luckyphil likes this.
  14. Luckyphil

Ed is coming to the T3 camp over so hopefully Andy can inspire him to make a start.

Grantus likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Remind Ed, when he took possession at my house, that it was a condition of the sale... :p

Luckyphil likes this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Long way till financially viable as well.

17. T1 Terry

You do hear some crazy electricity costs and green house gas emissions for recharging along with all night to recharge, but these are just nonsense stuff put out by those who don't like change.
    Real world recharge costs, here is an example. A friend drove their new Tesla from Mannum to Brisbane, a total of $19 in recharge costs and a Tesla is a big heavy vehicle. We recharge our 2006 PHEV (Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) Prius from the solar on our Hino Motorhome that is really just a converted mini bus. We get between 80km and 100km from a recharge and the Prius is still dragging the ICE motor around with it while on full electric because it is a hybrid after all. Our best so far has been 1,800km on 40 ltrs, we need to use the ICE motor when travelling to Murray Bridge or Adelaide so that is where the petrol gets used, other than that we travel to and from work and the shops for free fuel from the sun.

T1 Terry

cbus, David H, saabman and 1 other person like this.
  18. saabman

That’s a big part of the problem is getting accurate quantative values/prices/costs etc.
    A bit like manufacturers rated fuel economy figgures.

so many things that should be able to be accurately measured documented and reported aren’t. Like running 95 or 91 in a Kombi.

cbus likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

But the cost of batteries, conversion/ upgrades, solar panels and any other infrastructure must also be accounted for to give a true cost .

20. Luckyphil

It wont be long before state governments will be imposing an access charge for using the roads as they are getting less fuel excise with every electric car that comes on line so sooner or later electric cars will be paying their way for road useage

saabman likes this.