1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi... Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by leightk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sooner or later the cost of recharging station installation, equipment and other associated costs will need to be recouped and that will be passed on to the users just like I expect Gov't subsidies :rolleyes: ...... I expect furore when free charging is abolished as people will expect to continue to not pay for something that has been free:eek:

drivesafe likes this.
  2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Tesla started chargeing new customers a couple of years ago. I finally found Australian pricing which currently sits a 42c/kWh.
    https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/supercharging

Which is a bit mire than home rates but not as steep the VLog I was watching the other day indicated. But that was in the UK not here.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

my mate has a Tesla Performance and he had a charge station put in at his home.
    He works between here and Walcha and he had one put in there so he can commute between the two

4. drivesafe

drivesafe Active Member

This is an interesting read, and backs what you posted.

http://schoolpa.com.au/PDF/Electric...Rjaw2e33dhDe9bxx-iiOTwok2EeYEmxu_BiamFkyqZ3-I

Wattie, KahunaKombi and Wayne murray like this.
  5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

The warranty on the battery pack etc for the EV's in the showroom now is between 7yrs and 10yrs. I'm guessing there will be a flood of late model vehicles in 4 yrs time as the leases expire, that is happening on a smaller scale already. At the end of 7 yrs or 10yrs, most people will have upgraded to a newer model for what ever reason ... I can't see any EV's making it to Kombi glory status where people would spend big $$ to keep them on the road :lol:
    As for the charging networks, the fuel station will become a solar farm with massive battery packs that buy and sell to the grid while supplying fast recharging, at a price, moderately fast recharging that is discounted when you buy a meal at the restaurant and free over night charging for those that stay in the accommodation over night on the long haul routes.
    Ultra fast charging is a bit like running on premium fuel or even race fuel, you pay for the privilege, E10 and truck diesel is cheap in comparison so moderate rate recharging will follow the same pattern. Basically the ultra fast rechargers will pay top $$ for priority charging, the middle range will be recharged at a slower rate and dropped to a trickle if the demand for ultra-fast charging is reaching the supply limit. Over night recharges can be free much like local phone calls are now, because the infrastructure is either already paid for or being paid by those using the ultra fast charging services.
    Fuel stations will jump at the chance of getting the customer to stay longer and spend more money on other services while getting their fuel to resell virtually free from the sun. The fuel companies will jump on board with this so they aren't pushed out of the market place. They have big pockets and a lot of political swing, so they will make sure they are well looked after while rolling out the recharging stations to create better electric highways.
    For those not in a hurry, like retired motor-homers or caravaners, they can always park up for a free days and recharge for free from the solar on top of their rig.

T1 Terry

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I wonder how the government will tax EVs for road maintenance? They can't really tax home electricity.

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Probably distance traveled and monitored by some sort of GPS tracking in the vehicle. Some sort of tap & go in the vehicle so it wont start till someone taps on perhaps

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the missing fuel excise, will be simply added to the EV rego costs.

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Where there is a government there will be a tax. Any different then you current rego,cost in the charging process somewhere some how.

10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

rego will just go up and an increase in the number of toll roads. All those vehicle monitoring things are just the begining. We will get used to seeing them and before you know they will be every where and we wont even noticed - bit like mobile phone towers

11. Grantus

You’re assuming that the current grid infrastructure can actually cope with recharging EV’s on mass?

If a single suburb of Canberra, all decided to sell their petrol / diesel cars, and all buy EV’s, there’s actually not enough power to each home to recharge them all.

Apartment buyers, who want to go “green”, have already discovered that the buildings don’t have, and is impossible to have, fast overnight chargers fitted to the car parking floors.

saabman likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The infrastructure for electric cars isn't there. Same with all the shopping centers,don't have a place to park EV in mass,while you shop.

13. Grantus

I can see that fuel stations, will come on board to add a bunch of chargeable stations, to supplement their declining fuel sales at some stage, but existing apartment blocks, cannot retro fit and bring in enough power for any residents.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Where there's a dollar to be made the fuel companies will be there.
    In nz diesel vehicles must buy mileage .
    Technology is progressing at a very fast rate .

For years fuel taxes have just been put into consolidated revenue.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    David H likes this.
  15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Imagine the real estate cost of a charging station in capital cities? Someone will have to pay for that.

We have had a local problem where someone needed to charge their car and the charging point was occupied. The person just left their car on charge for 4 hours while she went to the club. This will become a common occurrence.

16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Governments in Australia are not encouraging EV's at all that way they dont have to invest in infrastructure, typical short sighted thinking.

17. KahunaKombi

I don't see why the Government has to invest in infrastructure for the recharging of EVs :confused: ..... I didn't think they invested in the infrastructure to refuel combustion engine cars :rolleyes:

syncro likes this.
  18. KahunaKombi

Then they'll have to add a retail margin to cover the cost of installation, maintenance, cleaning and as customary with business a profit margin :eek: ..... could be some shocks to costs not yet factored in and the final end user price :confused: ..... they'll need to recharge and just have to pay.

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good margin already made on power by retailers.
    A charging station for fast charge represents a concentrated mass volume of product sale.

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Or the NRMA. Let the private sector do it.

KahunaKombi likes this.