1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi... Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by leightk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

I agree. So long as the Feds don't underwrite Adani or spend tax payer monies on a business case to argue for a new coal fired power station in Qld.

cbus likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

The recharging in apartment complexes has already been addressed by a number of companies. They supply a charging dock for each person who pays for one in their parking spot, it all goes back to a central control point and the charging is delivered at the rate you choose to pay. If you are happy for the car to sit and wait till there is charge available you get the cheapest rate, if you must have the car recharged by a set time but with a 12 hr period between plug in and the required fully charged point you pay the next level of pricing. This continues up the price scale until you reach the person who is willing to pay top $$ for a 30 minute recharge.

As far as the shopping complexes providing for electric vehicle recharging, they already do in Adelaide and the tread is spreading fast. Why, the shopper is captive while they wait for their car to recharge and anything that will extend the shopper time in front of the retailers increases sales. The big centres get a cut of the sales revenue from every shop, so it is their best interest to attract EV owners to shop at their centre. Given time and the fossil fuel cars will be the ones who have to park on the roof because all the other spots are EV charging spots. The EV has a device that tells the charger what bank account to pull the funds from, what voltage it needs and how much it needs to get to the 80% and 100% SOC, so the same device. No signal, no boom gate opening to the EV charging areas.
    The private sector has already jumped at the chance to roll out electric highways and their are a number fighting for sales position already. Just like multiple brands of fuel all coming from the one source, EV recharging will be no different and the price wars will keep them competitive.
    As far as the road tax, we have always paid a road tax as part of the rego cost, there was a stage where trucks had to pay a road mileage fee and all the safety cameras on all the main roads can easily identify a vehicle now via the rego plate, so the system is already there to charge a road use tax to replace the fuel excise they will loose. I doubt they will care about the local roadways within each town or city, it will help with the lack of public transport they offer now and you can bet they will sell the idea as a "good thing" they are doing for the general public by not charging for local area vehicle use .... they will catch it up in GST collection from the charging stations etc.
    The barns that catered for the horses soon adapted to selling fuel for the horseless carriages and they will adapt to the electric vehicle in the same way. Remember when LPG or Autogas first hit the scene, didn't take long before there was an Autogas bowser at most service station.
    It's the auto repair crowd that will feel it more than any others, bugger all servicing required for an EV ....

T1 Terry

TeeBee likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Really? The rego cost wouldn't pay for the admin.

Think of the fuel tax that you pay now. It will still have to be paid.

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I still think that in Australia an electric vehicle with a petrol/diesel charger is the way to go like the Holden Volt.

saabman and Wayne murray like this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's nice and tidy. If I was a bit younger I would love to have a go at doing something like this. Back in the late '70s I nearly bought an electric Beetle. Pre electronics made these useless except for very short trips.

Mordred likes this.
  9. T1 Terry

We might all have a heap more spare time to take on an EV DIY project soon :roll: The number of enquiries about off grid set ups has tripled in just a few weeks so with this latest border closing and possibly district closing as hinted by the Qld premier, the load that wasn't on the suburban grid during the day will now jump up considerably, will the grid handle that? I guess all the roof top solar will at least have some where to go now rather than the grid tie inverter at the house shutting down because the grid voltage is too high, lots going in but little being used was the cause of the high grid voltage.

T1 Terry

10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

11. T1 Terry

Not sure I like the idea of loosing the walkthrough between the from seats to a consul with a strange stick shift in it. 45kWh of battery yet only 200km range but a 130km/h top speed, lower gearing would have been more sensible. Unlike a petrol engine, a free spinning electric motor uses very little energy but one labouring at lower revs uses a lit more energy.

T1 Terry

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

<iframe width="1273" height="716" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Watching/Listening to some music on youtube last night and this showed up -

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Then this one -

Either or both may have may have been posted before :rolleyes: ..... haven't checked but thought still an interesting watch.

16. T1 Terry

The green one is a nice tidy job. I wonder how far he gets with the 36kWh battery pack.
    Anyone heard of the camber compensator? I think that is what he called it, was that for the old swing axle reduction box type suspension and not applicable to the later bay suspension?

T1 Terry

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

If your going to do an electric conversion you might as well go over the top

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it yet but good to check the other side.
    Probably includes a few furphy's as many docco's do but do you have the evidence to counter the arguments. ;)