1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Kombi?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Loy, Nov 18, 2021.

1. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

If you take the originality out of it... noisy, twin carb, oily, petrol burning, flat 4, air cooled lump...and replace it with a quiet, powerful electric motor and a stack of batteries, the sale price can only go down.
    That's just logic! :rolleyes:o_O

David H likes this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry:D. Says it all... No Dak Dak .....no Kombi:eek:.
    Cheers

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Resale price….?
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Theres quite a few companies around the world focusing just on v.w conversions .
    Cant see it fading out, just like the coffee vender vans and food vans and beers taps vans being made.
    Will be intersting to see if people will throw up the big dollars to replace the batteries when they die to keep the old veedub going.
    You can keep an old kombi going for a long time compared to the cost of the electric conversion and maintaining it.
    Personally id rather go Subaru power if you want to go fast an have all the luxury like aircon and heaters at half the price.
    As long as they keep digging oil out of the ground petrol cars will be the majority.

5. wombatventures

Yep

oldman likes this.
  6. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Here is a interesting doco on 4 corners on YOUTUBE to see what is needed to make a battery.
    You need 35 minerals to to make a battery .

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Wayne murray, oldman and Wiz like this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a fact often overlooked by most……mining is present in just about everything we do.
    Cheers,
    Mark

syncro likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The issue is how much damage is done enviromentaly and human cost.
    Most is serious but not all.
    But all inputs should be included WITHOUT BIAS ;) in any analysis or comparisons of any product/subject.

Its without question that the oil industry is seriously dodgy in many areas as well as high CO2 emissions being a significant issue.
    The change to an alternative energy source should also face honest scrutiny.

syncro, 77/kombi/surfer and oldman like this.
  9. wombatventures

5 years as a geo in my first real job gave me a pretty good idea of the mining industry. Next real job after a bit of agriculture (still ongoing) was Nature based tourism which highlighted the need to protect natural places. Next major job landed me in environmental landscaping, revegitation and land management. Now I just fix things or clean them up.
    Every energy source is going to need resources, but the way we go about that will be the most important task. For 150 + years we've ripped the resources out of this country and sold them to others to turn into products. It's about time we made those products, environmentally, ethically and sustainably.

oldman, onetrackwonder, cbus and 3 others like this.
  10. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I know someone who did a cradle-to-grave analysis of the environmental cost of disposable coffee cups vs reusable coffee cups.
    2 1/2 years before the total environmental cost of the reusable cup was less than disposable.
    By then it would probably have been replaced by the latest trendy design!
    PR

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    A full lifetime analysis can be interesting.
    I would expect that the coffee cup analysis had omitted the pollution factor of disposable cups due to their non recylability because of moisture proof coatings.

Important to consider all externalities as well.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Inside understanding of the detail how things work is very handy.
    Makes it easier to call " bullshit" on lots of claims from both sides of many issues. ;)

oldman likes this.
  13. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

The analysis was done by a laboratory who were setting up for John Howard's emissions trading scheme.
    IIRC they were plastic. Whatever the cups were they included all costs, cradle-to-grave in the analysis.
    I remember one of their environmental costings included production of the food eaten by the Indian man who rode his bicycle to work to manufacture...
    PR

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

While not really an EV, I have just driven a Toyota Corolla Hybrid for 1,700kms. It has to be the worst POS made this century that I have driven. The thing is really gutless and if you think Kombi heaters are bad you should try this. I had the heater set to 28C and still had to wear a jumper and jacket.

These hybrids are really useless. They don't have any of the benefits of an EV or an ICE. Maybe if they had a decent battery and you could plug them in for a recharge they might make sense, but you are using petrol to charge the battery.

16. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

It's not the hybrid system that's useless, it's the downgrade from a 2 litre 125kW engine to a 1.8litre 72kW engine.
    PR

17. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

The equivalent of compression braking is also used to recharge the battery, so it's not all petrol used to recharge the battery ..... but I 100% agree about the need for a decent capacity battery and plug in charging.
    It is surprising the Corolla hybrid is gutless, the Gen 2 Prius (2008) with 740,000km odd on the clock that we have has surprises a lot of people on just how quick it is when overtaking etc, it only has a 1.5 ltr Atkins cycle engine. One of the downsides is just how thermally efficient the engine is though, the heater takes for ever and requires the air con to be off to get much warmth from it .... and that stuffs the demister function because the air conditioning is needed to remove the moisture from the air.

T1 Terry