1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elsie a 1976 Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Elsie 76, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

No that is how its done. I love everything about it, you must be very proud of your efforts in creating such a timeless beauty with everything you could need. Top marks to you.

Elsie 76 likes this.
  2. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

Any chance you could explain a little about the tent please Craig. I noticed the VW emblem on it but i havent see any that colour before. I just love the look & the setup of it & i would very much like to have similar. Is it something you had made? if so where? I wanted to buy a vintage one previously but was informed that the old tents smell bad & that put me off.

kind regards

3. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

I love what you've done and digging the stripes. Gives it some character. Really liking the new interior cupboards too. Did you source them or build them? Also liking the awning. Does it take up much room when packed up?

Cheers

4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Absolutely love your work, another 76 back for another 40+ years!! Also love the canvas and pin striping treatment, classic!!

Elsie 76 likes this.
  5. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,
    I picked the tent up last year I think from a fellow in Sydney. It had only been used a couple of times and was stored away since the ‘70s. It looked ok so I bought it, brought it home washed it and wrapped it back up in the original bag. I don’t think I will ever use it because it is heavy and smelly just like all the other canvas tents. But I like to have it as part of the VW Kombi package. I have seen similar up for sale, you just need to keep your eye out or place a wanted add on this web site. You never know. Happy hunting.
    I also have a modern drive away tent which is very good a large space for camping.
    Regards Craig

6. Elsie 76

Hi jtkombi,
    Thanks for the comments, nice of you to say; I love the stripes too!
    I had a mate who is a kitchen cabinet guy do the cabinetry, it is a light weight material laminated with fomica to give it the old timber Sopru look.
    As for the awning I had it made you a fellow in the Gold Coast. Great job and very happy with it. I sourced the fabric from the USA to match my bus. When it is all packed up it’s about the size small pillow or larger cushion. Then a separate bag for the poles.
    If you want to know more just ask.
    Kind Regards
    Craig

jtkombi likes this.
  7. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

Ok cool. I think i may go the drive away option as well as while i love the look of the tents the smell would keep me awake no doubt. I can see the microwave for cooking & also the Gas Bottle compartment has been kept, have you got a burner or stove hidden somewhere or thats just for the gas option of the fridge? I have original cabinets from 78 throughout mine but if i was to change i would do very similar to yours. Brand new with the Sopru look. Well done once again. Would love to meet up with this guy from the Gold Coast to copy your awning if you could be so kind. Can you let us all know please :)

8. Elsie 76

2401AEB7-C07E-4E26-9707-1DB8E6B90585.jpeg
    Got some new wheels this week. 15” :)
    So I’ll be selling my original 14” wheels, with Toyo HO8’s with hubcaps and dress rims if anyone is interested. I’ll place an add in the “Buy & Sell” section of the KC Page.

TeeBee, Jethro, oldman and 5 others like this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Craig :D on your sweet ride & the new wheels look great ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  10. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Those wheels look great. Where does one buy those stripes top?

11. Elsie 76

Hi Paul,
    A mate of mine is a sign writer and cut the stripes individually and put them on for me. Unfortunately, gone are the days of a pinstripe guy doing this sort of work.
    Craig

paul77 likes this.
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

PM sent
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.