1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Loss of Power

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by tzorzo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. tzorzo

tzorzo New Member

I have a 76 1800cc kombi engine rebuilt 4 years ago has had very little use. Just recently it started running low on power would not idle and is back firing through the carbs actualy showing flames when the air filters are off, using heaps of fuel.
    Can anyone help with a prognoisis and how to fix?

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Tzorzo
    Start with the basics you can do with just a screw driver...Chech for a vacuum leak.....There are rubber elbows behind 1 and 3 intake manifolds that perish......Also if its a stock air filter and carb setup then tht idle intake on the left has two elbows that perish....also there are hose between the carburettors that perish. All will cause havoc ...
    Its a start...

3. tzorzo

tzorzo New Member

Doc
    Thanks for your reply.
    Have checked the elbows behind 1 & 3 intake, No. 1 was off so I put clamps on to hold inplace as it seemed loose, their not old or perished, all other elboes seem OK. Motor now idles OK however has a slight backfire, butterfly on left carby seems to flutter. It sounds like this carby is leaking or drawing air not evident on right side, I may be hearing things. Exhaust very black and sooty, excess fuel I assume, would tappets be out of synch or need retightening, what setting??

Cheers
    Tony

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Tzorzo
    What engine do you have and what carburettors?

5. tzorzo

tzorzo New Member

1800cc zeniths
    By the way how do i put the pic of my bus on the page

Tony

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The photos involve uploading the photos to photobucket and then pasting the link
    Do a search on this website on photobucket and you'll find the full explanation....As for zeniths I'm not able to help you.

7. tzorzo

tzorzo New Member

Kombi Guru
    Led you astray on the carbs they are Solex not Zeniths as stated. My apologies.
    Tony

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Tzorzo the left carburettor does suck air at idle more than the right side and you should have a metal tube that connects via two elbows to the air intake. This is for the idle and then half way down there is a balance tube to the right. Check these rubbers for leaks.

9. beep

beep Member

Hi tzorzo. I feel your pain on this one. These mechanical mysteries can be really frustrating.

Fixing that vacuum leak is a really good start. Of course there is a pile of things that can cause this kind of thing.. In my experience the kombi carbs very rarely go wrong (blocked with dirt at worst).

Check out the fundamental stuff first. Make sure the ignition timing is right, and the valves are adjusted. My dub guy says 8 thou in summer and 6 in winter for valves. (Thou meaning thousandths of an inch.. sorry I hate not metric too). Ask if you need the procedure. Anyway the backfire won't be caused by valve adjustment unless its WAY out. You can check the ignition timing with a big spanner and a 12v light globe. Doc is right on: vac leaks cause really serious problems with the bus engine and you really need to stay on top of them.

If the timing doesn't solve your problem you can take the tops off the carbs without too much trouble and see if there's lots of nasty stuff in there.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Chris.