1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine rebuild

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Julian Taylor, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Julian Taylor

Julian Taylor New Member

After only just getting my 76 kombi back on the road and everything apparently going well I think my engine may have dropped a valve :( A tick developed that rapidly got louder and then shuddering. No visual outside damage. No cloud of smoke however there is definitely a mechanical problem beyond a simple electrical issue. My old engine had been performing well but has been around the clock more times than I can recall. I am wondering if confirmed as a dropped valve wether it is time to bite the bullet and go to the entire rebuild. If so who do I go to ? I live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland so I would love feedback as to who is reputable? who produces good solid engines at a reasonable price that will last ?

Cheers,

Julian

2. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Cbus (col) would know a reputable VW mechanic up that way ! You could Try sending him a pm ?

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Plenty to avoid on the coast.

Safest bet is talk to Matt Berry at cooroy.
    ( lake macdonald )
    If you are close to that end of the coast truck it to him for a diagnosis then consider options.
    Pay to know whats wrong first.

If the engine was tired and you expect a new one is a good idea regardless then my first picks are either Matt or check out Mike at CBB website in sydney.

Have heard good things for a mech in Nambour but dont have details n unsure if he rebuilds engines.
    Its not a job to throw at any average mechanic.

Ensure all your ancilleries are also in good nick for a new motor or have them reco at same time.

I prefer to have the motor done localy so that the builder can fit and do initial run in. Then do the first couple of services and adjustments.

Sound diagnosis first is best move.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    StevieVW likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Just noted that you are at maleny.
    Theres a local garage whos owner has a red restored split.
    Have a chat with him.

5. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Did you pull the tappet covers ? you might get a better idea

Julian Taylor likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Type 1 or 4 motor?

7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

I'll second Matt Berry but I think you'll find there may be a bit of a wait. Depends if your in a rush and as above best to get a full diagnosis so you know what your up for

8. Julian Taylor

Julian Taylor New Member

Thanks Guys,
    I've been on night shift so this afternoon may be the first time to have a proper look. I am bracing my self in preparation for what I find. I appreciate the feedback. The kombi shop seems to be a place to avoid. Not any positive comments out there for them.

9. Julian Taylor

Julian Taylor New Member

I've finally had time to get the valve tappet covers off. To my great relief found an adjuster lock nut looking at me. The valve clearance was a country mile wide with the screw all the way out. After re-doing the clearance everything was sweet. Back to running like a Swiss watch. Happy days. I'm going to start putting a little away each month for that rebuild so the information received here won't go to waste. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Cupcake n beer to Peter:)

StevieVW and Mr Beckstar like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Good result BUT:
    So who did not tighten the valve adjuster nut properly???

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe Conti Engines @ Birbie Island is operating again and Gary builds good engines also so maybe an option for you.

13. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Yep second that, I think Conti Engines have moved but they do a good job at a reasonable price.

14. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

Do conti ship to Melbourne?

15. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

try mike at CBBVW at Penrith, ive heard quite a bit of good stuff about them from people I trust and i know they freight. I do highly recommend Conti for rebuilds and mechanical work, he did my 76 2L 10yrs ago still sits on 110 on the highway and ive given it a hard life. not sure if he has prebuilt motors to freight though.

wenmac likes this.
  16. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Me
    Mechanic in Nambour is Browns Autobahn. 33 Coronation Avenue, Nambour Queensland 4560 ยท opposite Nambour High School 07 5441 3843,
    Todd is pretty good for servicing, and gearbox work etc, but I think he used to send his rebuilds to Conti.

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Theres another one someone has used a bit and is happy with.
    All descriptions so far sound promising and the informant is both particular and knowledgable so confident in info provided so far.
    Naturaly I cant remember details.
    Must learn to write things down .
    Will follow it up tho.

glow-monkey likes this.