1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine removal jack

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Ian and Shelley, Jun 15, 2019 at 9:42 AM.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hello...

I am looking at a new clutch and reading about engine removal..

Everyone states the need for a high lift jack or ATV stand for engine removal...

How high a jack is required ??
    Repco have a ATV lift with a height range of
    • Lifting Range: 115-375mm
    • Lift and lower a motorcycle, ATV, dirt bike, and more with the ease of hydraulic power
    Would this lift range of 115- 375 be enough to easily balance and remove a kombi engine?

Thanks. Ian

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Get under your bus and measure the distance between road and engine.... that's the minimum height you need.... Lots of good info. on engine removal here.... Cheers, Mark

syncro likes this.
  3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, if you strip the engine down a bit, then you don't have to lift as high...however, here's a pic of the height you need to take an engine out complete. Standard kombi jack and jack stands - jack one side a bit, then the other until you are high enough. they do like to sway sideways a bit once the wheels are up but a bit of wood or similar under the wheels stops that.

I use a standard trolley jack under the engine and a platform I made (it has a circular cutout at the bottom so that the jack can't slip out and a bit of angle at the back that I bolt the rear engine support to so that it all moves together.

Patrick

engine out.jpg

Mr Beckstar and Wayne murray like this.
  4. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I don't think the height of the ATV lift is that critical, because it depends on how high you jack up the rear of the Kombi. Just jack up the Kombi to the height so the ATV lift supports the engine, then when you lower the engine you can jack up the body a bit more if necessary to clear the body when you pull the engine out.

Also the standard Kombi jack is ok to change a wheel, but I wouldn't use it to jack both sides up onto stands. They are only designed to lift one side because they lift on an angle so if you put one side onto a stand then jack up the other side it can push the body off the stand.

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

found a pic of removing another engine (partially stripped) that shows the platform trolley I use with a trolley jack

...this pic was prior to screwing on some angle at the back to connect to the rear engine hanger - so you don't push or pull the engine off the trolley. another thing that's handy to have is a variety of different thickness of wood to put under the wheels of the trolley so it can't topple sideways.

don't forget to centre the clutch plate - even then, the engines still don't like to slide in as easy as you would like...make sure you have equal distances between the gearbox and engine all the way around. if you are absolutely sure it's all lined up then you can put a long bolt through one or two of the engine mounts you can wind a nut on and pull the engine into place

these tools also make it easier
    https://www.justkampers.com.au/00-533-5-k-clutch-aligning-tool-t2-1974-to-1979-t25-1979-to-1992.html
    https://www.justkampers.com.au/00-500-3-0-flywheel-locking-tool-for-all-6v-and-12v-engines-1946-1992.html

Photo0915.jpg Photo0917.jpg

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

another way to stop the sideways sway is to push your ramps in sideways under the wheels as you are jacking the van up IMG_20160330_150924.jpg

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  8. Ian and Shelley

Thank you for all the info....

all advice most welcome..

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  9. Ian and Shelley

Once the engine is out...what replacements or maintenance should be carried out while we have better access..

I have ok compression on all cylinders so won't be doing heads or similar but what should also be checked and replaced..

Thanks

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

i used to use a trolley jack and couple of blocks of wood.
    once I got the engine down to ground level I'd slide a couple of bits of heavy duty 25mm conduit under it and roll it out.

Now I have an ATV jack from super cheap - need to jack the back up a long way to get it out with the ATV jack though.

If you now idea of the condition real history maybe pull the tin ware from around the oil cooler and make sure its nice and clean, check the flaps in the cooling system work (highly unlikely) or at least are stuck in the max cooling position :)

rear main seal OK?

thrust bearing and clutch

if you fuel sender is dodgey now is the time to replace it :) along with the little rubber joiners in the fuel vent lines (on top of the fuel tank)

Filler elbow

Rusted battery tray replacement time

11. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

as per above and engine mounts

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Also check all Welsh plugs for any sign of leakage.

I removed engine and auto transmission as one unit, but that’s not necessary it’s just what I did.
    4183EBC6-74B1-44AA-8591-268DB8C86289.jpeg

Wayne murray likes this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Even though this method necessitates undoing cv's and clutch cable/ gear selector, I found it easier for the install.

Mr Beckstar and oldman like this.
  14. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I had never seen an ATV jack like this but it will be a definite improvement over the standard super cheap one that is really not high enough without blocks. It is rated to 350kg

Adrian.

F4C2B9B2-F7C4-4BC6-9D32-55AF42A06F4D.jpeg

Wayne murray and Mr Beckstar like this.
  15. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

With 2 T2 kombis and now Borat the T3 over a 9 year period I have now done several engine removals and reinstalls.
    But alas i still class myself level 1. I still think i am pretty crappy. I never said to myself "Geez that was easy "
    I put the kombi up on ramps then use an atv lift sometimes using an engine crane and of course blocks of wood .
    I always get it done but find it is real hard.

After all this I think the incline is too much. The next time I plan to raise the front to be in line with the back and see how that goes.
    Like to hear from someone who thinks their method is piss easy.

Mr Beckstar likes this.