1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Removal

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by steve_4802, May 30, 2012.

1. beep

beep Member

For sure that's the right repair kit its a tricky business. My engine is on a stand and I still have skinned knuckles.

I'm a bit irritated and confused just now because the long block isn't that old and I've found nearly 5 mm gap in the top piston ring of number 4. That can't be right can it? Who fitted these things?

2. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

So many shit mechanics around these days..

3. beep

beep Member

Yeah for real.

What's your mechanic's opinion on the ring gap? My manual says 0.9 mm is the limit for end gap. A quick measure with calipers puts the bore at 94 mm which is big if the long block is an 1800 as supplied. New barrels/pistons do you think? I'll have to measure some more I guess.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

But there are links to a beetle engine removal! relevant to early jobs!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Du5atasfQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpYZJ0bg_U&feature=related

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

you seems to have mismatched parts.. yeh take a good look at everything, 5mm ring end gap is huge, wrong parts fitted there i'm afraid.

7. beep

beep Member

Well it got a good measure up today (sorry for the thread hijack).

The barrels are 1 mm oversize and just about at the wear limit. Ring gaps are all over spec but nothing like that one on number 4. And you're right DakDak this isn't from wear its from some dodgy engine builder using the wrong parts. A pro too.. So its new barrels and pistons for me. I wonder what else is wrong with this engine.

8. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Is that the ring gap in the barrell or just after you pulled the barrell from the piston?

9. beep

beep Member

In the barrel. An inch from the bottom. No kidding.

10. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Does the 2nd ring have the same gap,is there obvious wear in the bore? do you run foam air filters and have you been on unsealed roads? I rebuilt a type 3 1600 quite a few years ago and the customer had a long dirt drive,the dust got in somewhere and wreaked havoc with the rings.

11. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

So the plot thickens...
    Did a compression test on the weekend and all cylinders were 130psi, except number 3 which was 120psi. Not sure why the compressions are now good, but if the compressions are like that then I won't be needing to take the engine out - happy days!

I keep thinking maybe on the weekend I accidently checked one cylinder twice, and the compression is still bad. But I'm sure that's just mind games and will confirm again this weekend that all is well. Will be happier once I've checked it again.

With good compressions, I'm looking forward to doing my first full tune-up. Got the synchro and tacho in the mail so watch out carbies! Not sure about engine timing, so I've started another thread on that...

Thanks for the feedback here guys. Your assistance gave me the confidence and allowed me to arrange the necessary jacks etc. so would've gove ahead with the removal had the compressions not suddenly gotten better.

12. leithbro

leithbro Member

This looks like as good a spot as any...

Whats the go with the "support bar vw 784" in bentley, engine and clutch, p5, fig 3-2? Obviously a support which is installed to hold the transmission when you drop the engine, but i'm sure most wouldn't do this? Are people just jacking the transmission? 1600 engine, 3 fin box, 73 bus btw

13. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Where in Briz are you Steve

14. leithbro

leithbro Member

I jacked this from a couple of months ago Mike. Just trying to keep things together.

15. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

just put a small jack under the gearbox, that way there is no strain when the back support bar is removed

16. leithbro

leithbro Member

Thought about using a ratchet strap onto the chassis?