1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine running rich

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by cruisyfun1, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cruisyfun1

cruisyfun1 New Member

my 77 kombi romy is running alittle rough at idle blue smoke coming out of exhaust and black soot smells of fuel at times hopeing to get a little guidents on were to start looking to fix im in caloundra if someone may be able to help or just tell me thanks pete

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

EFI?
    chechk you have AFM connection plugged in.
    Carbs?
    check float levels/chokes off/fuel pressure

col

3. cruisyfun1

cruisyfun1 New Member

thanks col twin carb somewere to start:

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

You've posted in the For Sale section :eek: Try the Bay Tach Clinic - Engine ,Transmission section. I'm sure you'll get more response. Cheers, Mark

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Before you touch the carbs, make sure the valves, timing, Points, plug gaps and all the hoses are in good condition and set to spec. Waste of time if you fiddle with the carbs and these aren't right. Once they are right there is a post on setting the carbs correctly. I have commented on it a fair bit so if you look through my posts in April and May you should find it.

If you cant find it I will post the link again.

Adrian

6. ltonk

ltonk Member

You should start by taking it to a mechanic...

7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

or you could do that. Depends on whether you have a good mechanic or you want to learn. There is more than enough info and help out there to do it yourself if you are interested.

Adrian

8. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Cruisy, unless you're in a real rush to get it running perfectly I'd try to do it yourself. Will cost a little more the first time as you'll need to get timing lights, compression guages, carburettor synchro etc., but I'd certainly encourage doing this sort of stuff yourself. I only bought my van about 5 weeks ago and tuned it up for the first time on the weekend. Learned a lot and now the van is running sweet. Also, in time I will have a better feel for what will or won't be wrong than a mechanic as I will start to learn what are the niggles specific to my van.

The engines are simple, couldn't get any easier - for an engine. If you're clueless, like I am, don't dispair, instead get the service manual and Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive... Together these two will get you through most things. and provide the confidence you need.

You've little to lose by doing it yourself. If you screw it, then take it to the mechanic and all that's happened is you've learned something about it and then the mechanic can fix it. Also, you'll have a much better chance of discussing it with your mechanic.

If I were you, I would do a service and tune up. In the correct order (as someone else has said) which will have you tinkering with the carbies last. Even if the carbies are the problem, and they likely will be, then you'll know everything else is sweet by the time you get to them. Otehrwise, you'll never be certain and will waste more time. I would also suggest doing a compression test as the first step as you'll get a feel for the general condition of the engine, and importantly, if that is likely to contribute to your concerns or conversely, will give you the confidence that it must be something else relating to the other general tune up list items that it has to be.

Finally, doing it yourself is not a substitute for your mechanic. A good mechanic will encourage you to have a go and help out as much or as little as you need (and let's face it, you'll be seeing him a bit). Often, you might find you simply end up paying for the odd hour of their time for cumulative long discussions about how do you do this, or that.

Apologies if I seem overly enthusiastic about doing it yourself. My tune up on the weekend went well, changed out the main rear oil seal (so stopped a pain in the bum leak successfully) and got it all running sweet. Very satisfying (particularly as it took a whole day to get the crankcase bolt off), hence my encouragement.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Check that your chokes are all of the way off first.

10. cruisyfun1

cruisyfun1 New Member

thank everyone of the advice . will start going over everything this weekend see how i go keep you posted

11. cruisyfun1

cruisyfun1 New Member

did everything everyone said also put in elec dizzy running really good just a bit sluggish first up in morning maybe chokes had a german mechanic with me ,how keen are they, so little more playing around but should be sorted soon thanks everyone