1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine selection T2 77 bus

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by shelbyright, Apr 29, 2017.

1. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

I am trying to decide what to do in regards with my engine selection on our restoration of our 1977 bus.

when i purchased the bus it came with 2 x 2.0 ltr engines one which is complete with twin Dellorto carbs and i am told was running perfectly 15 years ago when it was pulled out of the bus and another engine in pieces.

i am still deciding (if Vic roads permits) to buy a 1916 twin spark Pobjoy engine and install that, or get Peter Richards who is a good friend of Stans, and uses Stan for the machining work to rebuild one of my 2.0 engines. (preferably the one in pieces if it ok, and sell the complete one)

i don't think i will have any issue in regards to reliability, or power for that matter with either builder. i do believe though that a Pobjoy engine will give me more resale opportunity, not sure i would get more money for the car, but would make it more attractive to a buyer. however at $10,500 for a Pobjoy and around $8,500 to rebuild my 2.0 ltr, its a lot of money to think about either way.

interested in hearing your thoughts, including there is no way i would pay that!

Cheers

George

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

For me its a no brainer to go type 1V 2l. No stuffing around and a wider market.
    Type 1V are a strong motor and some easy improvents during build give good power increase.
    Straight foward maintainence in the mind of any purchaser.
    Especially one " who wants a kombi" but is scared mechanically.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

68Bus (Brad) has a Pobjoy twin spark (I think) in his Split Evie of 1916cc (may be bigger) running twin Kadron Carbs so possibly he'll see this thread or you could PM/Start a Conversation with him.

I had a 2.2L Stroker Pobjoy with twin 44 Dellortos - in a mid 70's twin cab and was very happy with as is Brad with his.

Both of these mentioned were/are based on a Type1 case/design ..... this also gives you a greater range of what you can do with it in a build. If you have a 2L gearbox then I believe it should be able to hooked up to it also.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Plug in the goer and see what you have before you spend mega.

Blunderbus likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

Syncro27 likes this.
  6. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Nice!

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Not sure if I would agree there

If I was buying a 77 bus I would be looking for it to have a Type 4 2.0L
    If it had twin Dells I would be happier

Is that for the "steroids" or the base?

Blunderbus likes this.
  8. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I agree with Barry, correct engine for correct year bus. May as well go suby before a type1.

9. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

Steroids, but it think i may then have Heamoroids coming up with the cash

Barry likes this.
  10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

X2 for Col's comment.....
    Go 2ltr properly rebuilt and matched to bolt ons, won't have an issue afterwards if regularly maintained.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.
  11. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

Thanks for the comments,

do you think 8k plus is a reasonable amount to spend on an engine ? or would i be better off getting all the metal machined and build up one myself.

i doubt it will run as well, as i wont be able to do a lot of the smaller mods you learn over many years of doing these engines. but im pretty handy ( and patient ) when i need to be.

2 thoughts

1. Get Peter to build my engine

2. have a crack myself
    get cases, flywheel and heads machined $1000 incl freight
    new pistons, rods If needed Mahle Pistons and cylinders $780 incl freight
    new bearings and valves Estimate $400
    SCAT type 4 cam $350
    get porting done $400
    90amp alternator $600 (may be overkill and heavy)
    Kaddy Shack modified solex carb kit $800 http://www.shop.kaddieshack.com/TURN-KEY-Type-2-4-SVDA-modified-Rebuilt-Re-bushed-Carb-Kit-KAD-2.htm
    Petronix Billet distributor and coil $300 from usa
    Vintage speed exhaust (ported) incl headers $1400
    new leads / plugs $100

all prices are estimates only in AUD but anywhere from 5-6k

and sell one of the engines, preferably the complete one depending on the case.

for an extra 2k am i better off with an expert doing it. but where is the fun in that?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I would go dual throat twin carbs over the Solex's - DRLA or IDF
    just a better quality carb set

You have not factored in setting the rocker geometry and getting moving parts balanced

I am sure Peter Richards would be doing this to one of his motors

You have a REAL nice makings of a kombi there - me, I would shell out the $2k

13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Get an apprentice so there is someone to blame!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

14. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

Hi Barry, yes the balancing, geometry, and the secret tweaks, i wont be able to do. and i reckon i will probable spend the 2 k difference trying to get it right.

15. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

From Mexico?

David H likes this.
  16. David H

Or four!! You know you can afford them!:rolleyes:
    Cheers

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Off topic, but we had a client moving into their house the week before Christmas, with family coming to stay, and 4 days before, the new plumbing let go in the bedroom wing, flooding the new carpet in the 3 bedrooms, where guests were due to stay......:(

They called the plumber, and, you guessed it, he said the apprentice didn't do it right, but it's OK, he's got insurance.....:eek:

David H likes this.
  18. shelbyright

shelbyright Member

Mmmm i don't think that is off topic at all, i think you are trying to tell me something? lol

19. David H

Yeah...more incompetent trades.
    I don't know how much those 'out there' take responsibility for what 'happens for them'.
    They choose a quote & then 'bitch' "it wasn't done right". Never see their role in the "I chose the cheapest" as part of the (un)satisfactory outcome. Then want it fixed by someone else for cheap (or insurance) because "I've already paid for it".
    Don't choose "They turned up "on time". That's worth nothing when you come to PRICE!!!
    Going to repost this in "What's p me off thread. Markets get what they want. Is it service or punctuality. Well I want that but if the other guy is $50 cheaper I'll choose him & then be (a whinger) about the choices I've made:rolleyes:o_O:(;).
    Sad bunch of customers being GREEDY. Meeting their needs & bitch when I maintain my integrity & can't meet their greedy needs.
    Thanks for listening.
    Oh..I turn up on time......at the appointed time.
    Not respected by all customers.o_O
    Gunna repost in WPMO thread. Bit fixated now.
    Sorry Shelbyright!
    Engine.. naturally aspirated 2 litre by the blameable apprentice. They are not an easy motor to get right!!
    Cheers

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  20. KahunaKombi

Agreeing with Barry on his posts.

Stay with the Type2 case you have, get it checked out for soundness and work from there .... keep the Dellortto carbies and have them refreshed. Am sure Peter Richards will build a nice strong engine for you and balanced.

While I did post previously about having a Pobjoy it was what was in the DC when I bought it - hooked up to a 1600 gearbox.

Yes it may cost more but experience worth it over enthusiasm to give it a crack yourself.