1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine serial number id

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by sw64, Dec 8, 2005.

1. sw64

sw64 Member

I've picked up an old 1600 single port to replace the worn out 1200 in my 64 kombi. the engine number is is B 0243992. I was trying to date it, but the charts i've found on the net for late 60's 1600's have the 1st number after the letter B as either 5 or 6 (depending whether type 1 or type 2). I've double checked and it is definately 0. There is a vw logo immediately before the letter B. Does anyone have any information on this engine number? (it has an oil bath air cooler if that helps)

Also, my 1975 Bay engine number is V052240P. I can't find any references to numbers like this, but I do know it's a re-co engine. The numbers seem quite shallow. Would this number have been stamped over the old one by whoever rebuilt it?

hope there is an engine number guru out there!

regards, steve w

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

V052240P

Issued by Victorian Police

3. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

According to this book the B = 8/68-7/70 Single Port

Syncro why would a number be issued by the police, just curious?? :?

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In NSW if you have an engine number that belongs to another or is different (import) or does not have a number then you have to go to a special police station and they will issue you with a number. The number always starts with N and finishes with P. So I am guessing that V is for Victoria. :idea:

I don't know if they still do this, but they did this in the 90s.

5. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

You are a very knowledgable fella mate 8)

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

No just been around for a long time :roll:

7. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Also you say it has a vw before the number,
    If this is in a circle then it is a reconditioned motor by Volkswagen themselves.

Dave

8. sw64

sw64 Member

thanks everyone

since posting the question I spent ages trawling through the 'net and found reference to B engines (not B5 or B6 which are the late 60's single port 1600's for Type 1 & 2). It just mentioned B was a type 2 50HP single port 1600 made in 1971 and was identical to the codes W or AD. AD was continued on beyond 1971. There was no other explaination and no numbers given. Unfortunately I can't remeber the site where I found the chart.

I've no idea why they would use B, W or AD for the same engine. And it seems odd using B when it had already been used a few years earlier (although I guess it was still a 1600). The other thing I have just found out is the 1600 came from a 68 bay window - but that would mean the engine is 3 years younger than the kombi it came from.

Thanks for the stuff on the V serial number too, i'm really impressed

regards, steve w