1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine setup, weber info and Conti Engines

Discussion in 'Performance' started by steve_4802, May 24, 2012.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Just bought my first bus, a 75 kombi camper. Pretty nice and having fun with it.

In time I'd like to tune it myself so am in the process of getting the necessary books and info to start better understanding what I have and how it works, along with fix all the little problems as they come up. So, I've got the Bentley manual and Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive in the mail - looking forward to receiving them!

My question though, relates to my carby setup. Engine was rebuilt in 2009, how well I'm unsure though I'm told it was a Conti build (cash only no receipts). I've only just started looking, but it seems I have an 1800 (73-75 era) with dual weber 40IDF's and a dual exhaust. First question, is this is a good setup? Why? Secondly, and more importantly I've heard that weber's are hard to tune and as they are a modification from stock I'm not expecting to find much info in the two books I've purchase (though not yet received). What would you recommend as the best book to help better understand and tune these carbs, keeping in mind my specific setup. Also, while I'm fairly good with tools and such, I've never tuned an engine so it would need to provide all the necessary info and not just some random jet settings or something, any book would probably need to discuss how and why to help me better understand as I'm just getting started.

Lastly, i've been trying to contact Conti Engines to confirm my engine was built by him but never get anyone pick up the phone. Does anyone know if Conti has recently shut up shop or why he wouldn't be answering calls?

Cheers!

2. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

The best thing to do with the Webers would be, to take the car to someone who can dyno tune them correctly (you will probably have to do this fairly regularly because Webers are known for going out of tune very quickly)

3. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

It would be best to have someone like Leon's Motors at Salisbury or Matt Berry at Cooroy have a look at them and get them set up.
    Matt is very good and it would be worth you time and the drive. (Mob: 0408 704662) Tell him Marcus sent you.
    As for going out of tune, that is a fib. They may need a little tweek of the mixture screw at tune up/oil change time, but unless your linkage is all over the shop that is all they will need. Bad linkages will result in variances that make life difficult.
    My 44idf Webers on my ute do 20,000kms a year.

4. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I should point out that I am planning to take the van to my mechanic to be tuned, but before that I basically wanted to completely understand how to tune the engine and carbs. I was then planning to not just pay for the tune up, but basically see if the mechanic will let me look over his shoulder and explain the tuning process. This will of course slow him down, but I can just pay for a little more time.

I see the advantage with the above as I still get the benefit of a well tuned engine without the sacrifice of knowledge associated with just dropping off and picking up the car. Then, if I'm comfortable with it, I should be able to perform subsequent tune ups, or at the very least, have a reasonable knowledge of what's going on so I can talk apples with apples with the mechanic and also help figure out problems when they may come up.

My local mechanic is Custom Vee Dub. Have only been there once so far for an inspection but he (Peter I think?) seemed extremely helpful, knowledgeable and trustworthy - all very valuable qualities in a local mechanic!

I would still appreciate further feedback, and possible references to help with learning to tune such a setup. I know weber have a couple of books on their website, but thought someone may know of a better reference?

Thanks again

5. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Sorry radar I beg too differ webers are easy too tune and I have travelled 50,000 ks over the last 3 years and not touched them

When i say easy to tune do ypu research and get a sync meter and your good to go

If in doubt get the carbs overhaulled and jetted to yopur motor specs by a weber pro and you almost there

6. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

steve-4802 call Matt Berry
    He will be happy to tell you what he is doing.
    Not a better VW mechanic or a nicer guy (and I am freekin fussy)

7. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Conti doesn't build engines anymore, he's working in the mines. Although saying that, he is presently building another motor for me. From all reports last bus motor he built for me is still running strong, after 8 years.

8. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

So far as I can tell I'm running one of the last kombi 1600s that he rebuilt and it was installed by Pete at CVD and I've been stoked with it. If yours was done a few years back a lot will come down to how the previous owner treated it. I also had a motor they rebuilt in a bus I bought from the workshop at bribie back in 96 (i think they scored it as a backpackers basket case, rebuilt the donk and sold it on) and that little 1600 took an absolute beating before its time was up. Pete always takes the time to talk about what he's doing even when there is a backlog of more jobs obviously waiting.

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

If Peter at Custom Vee Dub is your local you are very lucky indeed. He is good at what he does and a nice guy to boot.
    I personally would not go to Leans Motors. I found them to be more interested in dollars then service.
    Roger Wood at Southside VW is also very good if you get stuck down this way.

10. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Thanks for the info on Conti. Are you able to forward a phone number or email of his? I would like to contact him and forward a couple of photos of my van so he can confirm if it was in fact one of his builds.

Much appreciated.

11. 77bay

77bay Active Member

He's still using the old shop number mate, but not there very often.

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Gary @ Conti I believe is not working fulltime on the VW engines any more - up in the mines working.

13. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Don't quote me on this 100% but I've got a feeling that anything to go through his workshop may have ended up with identifying marks ie. if heads were recoed then I think they might have ended up with his own stamp inside so that he'd be able to tell. I had a few trashed heads off my old 2L before I canned it that as luck would have it were in this category - Pete might be able to shed some more light as he was the one who told me about it in the first place.

14. poGo

poGo Member

jets jets jets jets that's all it is if in doubt go smaller you can always ream them out to your manhood's content with those oxy welder cleaning wires you can buy at $3 a set from supercheap. :)

15. islandman

islandman Member

hi guys i just want to vouch for pete at custom vee dub he is an absolute champion he replaced an old second hand motor for me after mine blew up that one blew up also no fault of petes and he even helped me out of a jamb and put another engine in for me, you can tell he is great at what he does and a good guy so if you are in brisbane have no hesitations to take your vw to him, (no he didnt pay me to write this haha)

16. poGo

poGo Member

I second that, Pete's a mate. Knows his nuts and bolts khehe